Install keyed door handle

A home owner from California, USA says:
I want to install a keyed door handle on my Pella patio door. I tried installing one from Amazon and the key cylinder did not work properly so I am trying a distributor (you) to assist me in making sure I am ordering the correct parts as well as trouble shooting the installation.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Door 1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Door 2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named door.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

It's very difficult to make a recommendation without seeing the original hardware. Would you happen to have the old mortise and handle set for me to review?

Without that, the best I can offer you is an educated guess. I would recommend our 82-218 mortise lock, 82-030 handle set, and 82-310 key lock. These three parts are all fully compatible with each other and I think they'll work on your door, but you'll have to look them over to be sure.

Unfortunately I do not have the original hardware. If I were to order and try to install your recommendation, would I be able to return it if it did not work?
Profile picture of Tom

You would, yes. See our return policy here for more information.

I ordered the 82-218 mortise lock and it doesn't fit flush on the door edge. It's recessed back. It also doesn't line up in the hole where the handle lever will enter.
Is there another option you can recommend?
Also, is there any reason why I can use my existing handles?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with our 82-218. However, looking at your photos I still think it's the best part for the job. I can at least tell you that we have nothing else that's going to fit in this same space as well as this part. 

I do know that these kind of have to snap into place once they're actually in the door. I'm not sure if that's something you've already done. Can you confirm? 

You also mentioned that the lever hole doesn't line up. Looking at your photos, the hole appears to be in the right position, which is in the lower side of the lock. Would it be possible to see a photo of where they don't align? I'm hoping that snapping the mortise in place will help even it out.

When doing this, make sure to hold the hook firmly with a pair of pliers. When handling this part, there is a high risk of it falling into the door, so you have to be careful. That's the main reason why the mortise has to snap into place. Once it does, it won't be necessary to hold it manually.

How to install a Legacy Handle Set
How to install a Legacy Handle Set
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 82-218 Mortise Lock
How to install the 82-218 Mortise Lock
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to install the 82-030 Handle Set
How to install the 82-030 Handle Set
GUIDE
READ >
Legacy Patio Door Handles, Locks & Spindles
Legacy Patio Door Handles, Locks & Spindles
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.