Installing channel balances

A home owner from Coos Bay, OR says:
Hello -

To the best of my knowledge I followed the instruction video on how to install non-tilting window sliders. Maybe I'm the only one who thinks so, but I get the feeling those instructions could use some work.

I ordered and received two channel guides, to replace the old ones, only one if which had actually broken, but I thought I might as well replace them both. The first one was a bear because I could not get the little hook into the little square hole until I slightly bent the hook and slightly scraped the hole with my screwdriver. Then I pushed the guide down (this takes some pressure; I'd recommend pushing it down with a block of wood). It seemed to be in place, held at the top by the pop-out hook. Next I installed the second one, but it popped out and after that the bottom hook inside it seemed to be misaligned. I put it back as well as I could, but then the string inside that guide broke, so it was useless.

At that point I decided I might as well install one of the old guides, the one that seemed to be undamaged, so I'd have a functioning window. That one installed just fine, but a lot of good all of this has done, because after I put the window back into the frame the guides don't hold it in place. They seem to be totally useless.

Hopefully one of your experts can tell what I'm missing here. I attach pictures of the guides in place.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5446.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5447.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5448.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5449.JPG
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Many thanks for your correspondence. Hm, it's very unusual to have the take out clip so close to the installation hole for the balance clip to attach, because it would cause exactly the problem that you have: the strength of the balance is too strong to hold the sash and difficult to mount the balance. Now, the guides you speak of: are you talking about the nylon top sash guides you screw on the sash? If so, may we see your old top sash guide, with mugshot pictures of the front and side? Dimensions would also be most helpful. Many thanks.

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.