Interior handle for sliding glass door

A home owner from West Palm Beach, Florida says:
I need an interior handle (only) for a sliding glass door. The locking mechanism is separate not part of the handle. The lock is intact and working. These sliding glass doors were installed in 1971 and this if the first problem I have had with handles. I have photographed and measured the handle as best I can. I have determined that putting on a new handle will not interfere with the locking capability of the door. The handle is only used for the opening and closing of the slider and when removed, everything else stays in place. I have no names of manufacturers. Please help if you can. Thank you.
User submitted photos of patio door hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
The interior handle you need closely resembles our 88-002. I think you will find the hole spacing is closer to 6-5/8", not 6-1/2". Let me know what you think.
A home owner from West Palm Beach, Florida says:
Thank you Paul.

That 1/8 of an inch is so close, I believe this will work. I did my best to measure from the center of the top screw to the center of the bottom screw. If the 1/8 inch is the only difference in the measurement, I have a feeling it is going to be a nearly perfect match.

Before I order this handle, please help me with this. I believe the original interior handle broke because the threads in the bottom hole of the plate into which the fastener is screwed, became loosened or stripped. What can I put in the hole to so that when I screw on the new handle, the fastener will be grasped tightly and hold tight. Is there a glue? Is there a casing to make the fastener slightly thicker? I do not want to have to remove the plate which holds the locking mechanism because it is working just fine.

I am a 75 year old one-woman homeowner so when I attempt to put on the handle or hire someone to do so, I want to have everything I need. Please advise. I appreciate your prompt assistance.

Jacqueline
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
If the screw is loose in the lock then you will need to replace the locking part of the handle along with the wood pull. You can first try purchasing a new screw at the local hardware store. Could be that only the screw is stripped. I would recommend that you bring the complete lock to a hardware store and have them determine if it is the screw or the lock.
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.