Inward Swinging Door Handle and Latch - 40-028

A quick learner from Iowa says:

Hello,

I am trying to get this part installed and want to be sure I am drilling holes in the correct location of my screen door.

The instructions are pretty brief so I am looking for some clarification on step 2:

With door in closed position place template on outside of door so that short folded end is against wood stop or metal z-bar, whichever projects farther.

Since this is an exterior door that swings inward, does it mean the outside of door as in the exterior side of the door, or the outside edge of the door away from the hinges?

Do you have any pictures to aide in the install?

Thanks,

Beau

Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

With the 40-028 in swing storm door handle, you don't want the door "stop" or for the "Z-Bar" to interfere with the handle. That is why you need to set the template to the outside stop on the door. You need to keep some distance from the door stop so that the handle will not hit it when closed. 

What I would do would be to use a loose leaf paper hole puncher and punch the three holes needed on the template to install the handle. Set the template like they say in the directions and mark the three holes. Then, with the hole locations marked, you can get some idea of where the out side handle will line up with the door stop. When you are sure of the handle location, you can then drill the holes.

How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.