Is 40-194 the right choice?

A quick learner from Toledo, Ohio says:

I have a mortise that had the latch and handle become disconnected so have been unable to use the front door.

Some of the dimensions on the unit I removed match your photos, but the one from the casing to the center of the square hole is larger in mine than yours shows.

I'm attaching a photo. To me it looks like a 40-194, but the difference in distance is making me hesitant.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20221231_113337.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I agree that the 40-194 is similar, but the dimension that differs is known as the "backset" and is very important. If yours is longer, then the 40-194 will not work.

Can you tell me what that dimension is? Please be as precise as possible.

Attached photos of dimensions
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230104_134944.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230104_135019.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

I'm afraid I can't really tell what the backset is from this photo. You appear to be measuring from the wrong side of the mortise. We need the front edge to the center of the square hole, as shown in the photo below. If possible, please write out the measurement so that we have clear and accurate data.

Alternate view of 40-194
Alternate view of 40-194

1 inch from the front edge, +/- 1/32
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for checking that for me. Unfortunately, we do not sell a mortise in this style with a 1" backset. The closest and only option we have is the 40-194, which has 7/8". Now, that's fairly close to your measurement, but it's still off by 1/8" which may very well be a deal breaker.

I am sorry for the inconvenience. 

If I have enough play in the slot in the door to make up the extra 1/8-inch and have it flush with the outer edge, would it work then?
Profile picture of Tom

If you can make up that 1/8", then sure, but it's not a guarantee that you'll have that much play. 

If you wanted peace of mind, you can see our return policy here.

How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.