Is this opening for a Knife latches? Which one? What Size?

A quick learner from Cambridge, MA says:
I have metal window screen that is being held to the metal window frame with tape. It was like when I moved in. I do notice it have these vertical holes going through the window screen frame and matching holes on the window frame. Base on your web, I think these could be holes are for Knife Latches. The length of the hole is 5/8 inches. If these holes are for knife latches, which knife latch should I order? There no manufacturing symbol on the window. I don
User submitted a photo of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
If both sides of the screen are notched at 5/8" , then you would need something like our 70-029 5/8" slide latch. I don't see a knife latch that will fit this cut out.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
If your window is neither Andersen nor Pella, I would consider our 70-172 knife latch. Like Paul said, we can't be sure if it will fit, but it is the only generic knife latch we carry. What I have done in the past when the cut out wasn't long enough was to install the latch and then gradually force it into the frame. Usually it will cut the opening larger just by using force. It's risky, though, and I cannot guarantee it will work for you.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)