Issue with my bug flaps

A home owner from FL says:

Subject: Bug Flap advice requested

Item # 59-054

I bought 3 sets of the Sliding screen door Bug Flap" (Item # 59-054). I knew there was gap along the end of my 3 screen doors (in Florida). And I was hoping the Bug Flap would fit into that space. I was surprised how well they fit in place, once I returned to Florida.

After I installed the Bug Flaps, I noticed that on the most heavily used door, the Bug Flap keeps popping out of the gap, at the bottom of the door frame of the screen door.

I expected I might need to secure the Bug Flap to keep it from popping out. I had made some little metal brackets that I planned to use to secure the strip. Unfortunately, I left the brackets at my home in Virginia (and forgot to bring them with me to Florida).

Instead of making new brackets (and drilling holes in the screen door frame), I was thinking that some sort of glue might hold the Bug Flaps in place. Maybe silicone sealant? Or epoxy glue? Or contact cement?

I was wondering if you have suggestions, based on your experience with this product, in how to proceed.

Thank you,

David 

P.S. On one of the photos, you can see the original bug flap (over 3 decades old) which fits into a different bracket in the frame. I was never able to find a source for that strip. However, your part completely covers over that old, cracked bug flap.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named bug strip fits in 3:8" groove.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named bug strip fits in place.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Bug strip pulls away at bottom, Dec 2020.jpg
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Hello there, David. One problem could be the bug flap is too wide for your patio door. Take a look at the 59-054 bug flap. Note that it has "tear away" lines. See if you were to peel off a line or two if would that solve the problem. As for finding your original bug flap, the problem is that companies use one type of screen frame for awhile then change it up along with the related component. What I have done in this situation where the bug flap came off was to "squeeze" the channel with a set a pliers to make the gap a little smaller. Or like you suggested use a screw to keep in secured.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.