It looks like our window needs a replacement spring kit.

A quick learner from Hoboken, NJ says:
Hello,

It looks like our window needs a replacement spring kit. The first two pictures are the brand of the window; I called Haddonfield Lumber and they recommended me to you. The window dimensions are 32X54. The window automatically falls when opened (we keep it locked to keep shut) because the piece came out. All I remember was a big curly steel piece, but my initial thought is that the whole spring needs to be replaced. Window 3 & 4 shows where I think it needs to be replaced. No expert here so would appreciate your input and what replacement piece I need to buy. Thanks,

Paul
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Hi there- thanks for your post! 

It sounds like the balances in your window need to be replaced. We will have to see them removed from the window to be sure as to what replacement parts you are going to need. It looks like you have a spiral balance from what I can see. If so, we will need the diameter of the tube (only the tube). Also, what is the color of the tip at the end of the balance? 

I've linked some media guides that should help you to identify and remove the balances from your window. Get back to us with the above information then we can get the ball rolling on finding you a replacement! 

A quick learner from Hoboken, NJ says:
Hello Dave,

I did some measurements and took some measurements. It looks like it is 3/18" in terms of diameter. The color of the tip is green. I measured the length and it actually came to 26.5 inches but I might have been measuring incorrectly.

Does this sound accurate?

Best,

Paul
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Thank you! These are perfect. This looks like a spiral balance for a tilt window. We can't provide any with that plastic sleeve, since they aren't made in that style anymore, but we do have metal tube balances that I think will work great.

Can you just confirm the diameter? I think you meant 3/8". I would make sure you're only measuring the outer nylon tube. This style is generally more like 5/8" in our experience. If it is 3/8", I recommend the Series 900. If it's 5/8", I recommend the Series 600.

As for length, we don't have them on the .5" but you should be fine rounding up. A 27" length should work great.

A quick learner from NJ says:
yes thanks Kara,

I meant to write 3/8. My ruler did not measure in 1/8 but I can definitely confirm that you it is less than 1/2 inch. Do they make in different sizes under 1/2 inch in diameter?

Thanks,

Paul
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

3/8" would be the only size below 1/2", so Series 900 sounds safe.

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify a replacement spiral balance
How to identify a replacement spiral balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.