1/4" spline Jalousie Handle

A quick learner from USA says:
I am looking for a couple replacement handles for a set of jalousie windows.
The problem is that they are not the standard 5/16" spline.
A 1/4" spline drive socket fits over the stub.

Let me know if you have any handles or adapters that will work on these windows.
Thank you in advance for any assistance,
Regards,
Paul
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
That is a little peculiar. I believe 5/16" is the smallest. Are you sure the spline isn't just worn down? Could you show us a few pictures of your operator so that we can identify what you're working with? Thanks!
A quick learner from USA says:
Here are some pics of the spline and mechanism.
I don't think that the spline is worn, as it looks like it is in good shape. I have placed a 1/4" spline drive socket on it on it fit securely and turns with no problems.
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
I believe you need a crank handle for a mobile home operator. Take a look at our 39-116 for one possibility. We also have others handles with different lengths that may interest you. See our mobile home hardware section for more.
A home owner says:
Thank you for the reply. I thought they may be designed for a mobile home or trailer application, but was not sure. The part that you list, 39-116, and all of the ones listed for the mobile homes, still show a 5/16" spline.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I don't think they make this kind of hardware with a 1/4" spline. Are you sure that's what you have? 1/4" and 5/16" are very close together. I would triple check your measurements and make sure they are as accurate as possible.
A quick learner says:
I have double checked my measurements, I am a mechanic by trade, and have a set of spline sockets. My measuring is strictly from sizing from these sockets. As long as the window mechanisms follow the standard for all other spline drive, then my measurements are correct. The 1/4" socket fits on and turns the mechanisms, where the 5/16" is very loose and sloppy. I would be afraid to put any torque on the 5/16" socket, as it would probably damage the outside of the spline.
I can not find anything reference to anything with a spline smaller than the 5/16", but I have a full set of windows with them.
I took one of our mobile home operators (the 39-234) along with a mobile home handle (the 39-114) and measured them with a micrometer. The spline came out to be .276", which is in between 1/4" and 5/16". It's not uncommon for manufacturers to round up or down in either case when a measurement is this specific, though. Check your operator spline with a micrometer and see if it matches up to .276". The operators and handles used for mobile home awning windows are standard in the industry.
A quick learner says:
I took a couple measurements of the spline, as requested. The measurement across the narrowest part, between the splines is .262", and the widest point, across the top of the splines is .291".
Where was your measurement taken? If it was across the top of the splines, then it may work, and I will probably buy several of the mobile home handles to test.
Let me know.
Thanks
I took measurements on the widest part of the spline at the top. If your operator is the type used on mobile home awning windows, I think there is a good chance it could fit. These mobile home operators are normally a standard size.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.