Jeld Wen Balance Springs

A handy person from Dunedin, FL says:

I have a small tilt window (Jeld-Wen, I think) which never has worked easily. I measure the spring as 3/8" x 17", yellow color code. Sash weighs ~20 Lb. One of the shoes seems damaged and may be jamming (shoe is relatively small, ~1" wide, ~2" high and ~1/2" thick). I have tried adjusting tension, (no real help). I have not removed shoe but can do this, per your video.

From what I see on your site, I should probably go to a blue code spiral, and replace the shoes. Other advice? Do you sell a shoe in this size range?

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! Sounds like you have an S900-17 spiral balance. If your sash is 20 pounds then the Yellow Tip option would be way too heavy. Blue is more appropriate but you should get an exact weight to be 100% sure. I advise against estimations for this kind of thing just to be safe.

As for the pivot shoe, we don't have anything in those dimensions. Once again I think it's best if you get more precise numbers rather than estimations, which will require removing it. A photo of the pivot shoe would also allow me to pick something our from our inventory.

In the meantime, you can see our 15-173, which is .546" thick and 31/32" wide, and our 15-167, which is 9/16" thick and 1" wide. Height doesn't really matter for these parts.

Hi Tom, shoe measures .514 X .954 X 2 so it is not exactly dimensions you show. It is identical to your models 167 and 179. The old shoe was damaged and may have caused most of the problem.

What would you suggest? I do not know how much tolerance is allowable, I could possibly sand down to get a better fit.

The spiral spring is 17", yellow tip and the sash is almost exactly 25 LBF. I am not adverse to trying Blue.

Your advice here is much appreciated!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Based on your dimensions, I'm personally leaning toward the 15-179. This is close to the numbers you gave. I figure that your old shoe just wore down a little over time, so we can safely assume that your dimensions were a little larger than what you're getting now. If you wanted peace of mind, you can see our return policy here.

As for the spiral balance, with a sash weight of 25 pounds then the Yellow Tip would be the best option after all. A pair of balances with a yellow tip carries 24 through 34 pounds.

I think you are right on all this, if the shoe is worn and not fitting well it might be twisting in the channel and causing jamming. I am going to order two shoes and spirals for a complete rebuild. Thanks for all your help and advice!
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.