Kerf Weatherstripping

A quick learner from Chicago, IL says:
I am trying to locate replacement weatherstripping for my patio door. I just need the one that goes on outside edge of door. I do not know the manufacturer of the door. The kerf channel is 1/2". I have looked just about everywhere and cannot locate a replacement. The sliding patio door was new installed early 2007. It was an unused extra from the contractor when we had our addition done but was a different brand from the rest of our windows which is why I dont know the brand.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20191115_103308.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20191115_103313.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20191115_103337.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20191115_103417.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for writing in. It's difficult to say what exactly might work for you without seeing a sample of the original seal, but take a look at our 58-055 or 58-053. Look these over and see if one of these could work for you. If you want you could order a sample of each from our samples page here.

Neither would even come close to working as the kerf opening is a half inch wide. But now I think you see why I am having such a problem locating a replacement. The entire hollow part and part that fits into kerf is a hard plastic type material. The part that edges next to the door is more of a rubber type material. I am including a slightly closer photo and the part on the left is what pops into the kerf. The piece is 77" tall.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20191119_152851.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20191119_152753.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20191119_153413.jpg
Just to add, I think that the unk patio door was a builder's series door but really cant remember the brand. I am including one more photo showing the door shut up against the piece of weatherstripping.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20191119_154803.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hey there! I think I may be able to help with this. I've run into parts like this a few times in the past. I can tell you right now that we won't be able to replace the whole kerf. We've never been able to find a good match for it. I think it's one of those things that can only be acquired from the door manufacturer, which is probably why you've had such trouble finding it.

We can, however, supply the wool pile that installs on it. Looking at your photos, that may be the only part that needs replacing. Your pile seems very worn down.

I would start by looking at our entire selection of wool pile here. We list detailed dimensions you can use as a reference (all of our sizes are shown as width" x height"). If you can't find anything in the size you need, please let me know what your width and height are and we can try to find a good match.

It's not a wool pile. It's actually something like rubber flaps that run the entire length of the piece on either side. It kind of grabs the door when it closes to seal of from the outside. Maybe a strip of wool pile might work though. It would have to depend on how thick it is to fully seal it. I will take a look at the ones you are suggesting although I would much rather identify the manufacturer to replace the one I have.
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.