Kindly identify parts & its purpose

A home owner from Hamilton, NJ says:

This is a photo of a double hung window jamb & i need to ask about

The parts that are inside the jamb. Sent 3 photos of same. Please zoom.

The one on top is like a screw that sticks out by 1/2 ". The one right below it is some tension plastic screwed in. These prevent my bottom sash from opening all the way to the top which i need to do in order to fit in my 5000 btu ac unit.

Kindly advise what is their purpose & if i can remove them & if so , how do i do it.

Thank you .

romy

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2FD04CE8-FA87-4AC2-BE98-06F936444DB9.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named B6F89114-A98E-4CD5-96B9-900355358A11.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 23C6B870-840C-4261-ACF8-7E60C8E5A7C5.png
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

The clear plastic 16-030 coil spring can be removed by unscrewing it from the jamb. The screw above the 16-030 spring bracket adjusts the window frame to move in and out to close any gap between the sash and frame. Normally it is recessed into the frame as not to interfere with your other hardware. 

Generally, it's not a good idea to remove the adjusting screw but if the window has been installed for a few years, you can probably get away with removing it. A thin flat screwdriver should do the trick. If not, you can try using pliers. Thanks for posting!

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.