Lock on a Sliding Door

A quick learner from USA says:
I bought a lock to install in my sliding door. Part No. 82-303. What I received was only the lock cylinder, but the door handle doesn't seem to have any sleeve or other mechanism to secure the cylinder in position. Is there something else I need in order to add a lock to my door?
User submitted photos of patio door hardware.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
There typically isn't anything else you need, but I believe the 82-303 is the improper key cylinder for your handle. That may be why you're running into problems. I believe that the 82-310 is what you want. If you look on the top of the 82-310, you'll see it has a flat rectangular head. That goes in between the posts on the inside of your handle (they surround the hole), visible in your first picture. In some cases, it's necessary to open up the round hole a little with a rat tail file. The face of the 82-310 might need to stick out just a little out of the handle.
A quick learner from Chester, NH says:
After taking a look at the handle the guy at Home Depot recommended the 82-303 as the part to order. (HD doesn't sell the part) But I see that they didn't look very closely. Thanks for your advice. That should solve my problem.
How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Legacy Patio Door Handles, Locks & Spindles
Legacy Patio Door Handles, Locks & Spindles
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.