Looking for a 40-042 with an offset internal handle

A quick learner from Hana, HI says:

Hi - I think I have an old screen door handle set that looks roughly like a 40-042 (first picture). I just installed a Kwikset smartlock deadbolt, and I discovered that the internal screen door handle rests on the "lock" button of the smartlock keypad (second picture). 

I need to raise the screen door handle ~5/8" to clear the keypad, but that would require moving the entire handle, drilling three new holes, and exposing the original lower hole in the door. 

Looking at your inventory, I wondered if I could replace it with a 40-138. The 40-138 handle is positioned a bit higher and would clear the top of the smartlock face. I would probably have to drill another center and bottom hole, but I wouldn't have to change the location of the inside and outside trim pieces, so they would cover the old holes. However, the door itself is 15/16" thick, and the 40-138 fits doors 1-1/8" to 1-3/8" thick. 

What do you think? Could I make this work? Any other suggestions?

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220506_064248097_iOS.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220506_064349539_iOS.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

If the 40-138 will give you clearance for the keypad then it's definitely your best bet, but the door thickness is a problem. Even the screw bosses for the 40-138 are fairly long and will probably get in the way. At the very least you would need to reuse the original handle's screws. You would also need to cut down the spindle and maybe even those bosses to a size more appropriate for the door.

At that point I personally think all that would be more work than just drilling new holes. If I were in your shoes that's probably what I would do. You know it's going to work and you don't even have to buy anything new, you can just keep using your old handle. 

If you do decide to go through with altering the 40-138 to work, please note that any alterations would mean you could not return it for a refund.

How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.