Looking for a replacement for old bubble seal on double-hung wooden windows

A quick learner from GA says:
Hi.

I'm looking to replace bubble seals on 20-year-old double-hung wooden windows. The bubble diameter of the old material is 1/4 in., and the base extension is also 1/4 in. (See photo.)

I'm trying to get a tight seal on gaps that run along the bottom of the lower sash and top of the upper sash. They are as wide as 7/16 in. and even 9/16 in.

It appears that the widest bubble seal I can buy for windows is 3/8 in.

What do you recommend for a durable material and configuration to seal such wide gaps?

Can I use a seal such as a kerfed, high-reach compression weatherstrip designed for use with doors? I've found one that reaches about 5/8 in.

Thank you.

Dave
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2022-10-11_21-07-30.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out to us, Dave. I hesitate to recommend using door seal on a window, but if the gap you're dealing with is that big then you may not have a choice in the matter. 

One possible replacement option would be our 58-056E. This has a .490" foam seal, but my main concern is that it would be too big to fit in the window slot itself. There are no guarantees.

Profile view of 58-056E
Profile view of 58-056E

Since your windows were originally made with a smaller bubble seal, there is likely something else at play here. Your long term solution should be to try to find what is causing the gap and take measures to fix it. Since the window is old it may very well be a result of the frame settling.

Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.