Looking for correct sash balance

A home owner from Washington says:
Hi,

I'm looking for a couple of balances for some vinyl windows I bought about 20 years ago. They were built in Spokane WA, but the lumber yard that ordered them is no longer in business and there is no manufacturer listed on the window.

The metal part of the balance is 13 inches, width is 9/16 inches and the depth is approximately 1/2 inch. The sash weights 9 pounds. 1201 is printed on the balance.

Thanks,
Bob
User submitted a photo of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
For starters, check the stamp. 1201 is a weird number. Could it be 1210? Your 13" balance is either a Series 380 or a Series 385, and you can measure the shoe to tell the difference. Take the measurement shown in the photo below and compare: a 1" shoe belongs to Series 380 and the depicted 1-3/32" shoe belongs to a Series 385.
Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
A quick learner from Southeastern Washington state says:
Mike,

I measured the plastic part and it is slightly over 1 inch, so I guess that makes it a 380 series. I attached a picture of the number on mine and it is 1201.

Thanks
Bob
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
If your depth is slightly over an inch, then the Series 385 may be what you want. It's possible that it wore down a little from its original 1-3/32" due to age and use.

That stamp is weird, though. I would weigh your sash on a scale to confirm the best option.
A quick learner from southeastern WA state says:
I remeasured the plastic piece with my caliper and it is 1.081. I think the 385 series is what I need. The window weighs just under 10 pounds.

Bob
Profile picture of Tom
For an S385-13, a 9-10 pound sash requires a 1230 stamp option. That should be all you need to know in order to make a purchase!
A quick learner from southeaster WA state. says:
Mike and Tom,

Thanks for all your help. I'll order this set right away and then start checking my other windows and get replacements ordered for those that need it. I'll keep coming back to SWISCO just for the customer service.

Thanks,
Bob
Profile picture of Tom
No problem, Bob. We appreciate your business.
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.