Looking for correct window balances

A handy person from Lisle, IL says:

I'm trying to replace the window balances/springs for a homeowner living in Naperville, IL. There is no manufacturer name I can see on the stickers shown (attached). He is not the original homeowner and the windows were in the house when he moved in. He handed me the EDI/ThermoTech brochure that was left behind, but in trying to contact Thermo Tech, they said this doesn't look like one of their windows. The broken spring is visible in one attached photo and the white sticker looks like the window dimensions are 35 3/4 x 37 1/4. Can you tell me who the manufacturer is and if you can supply a set of balance springs. I also need a pair of tilt latches for the lower sash. Thanks- Mark 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20211124_140418.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1639763451579.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 6613553731.jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hi, Mark.

This looks like it may be a match for our 15-175 pivot shoe, which uses the Series 152 coil springs, but you'll need to remove yours to confirm that the dimensions match up. 

I looked up the manufacturers code located on the metallic sticker and found that it was a match to Alside Products (acquired by Associated Materials), who are out of business. I hope this helps! 

As for the tilt latches, can you show us some pictures of that? 

Thank you!

A handy person from Lisle, IL says:
Hi Emily,

Sorry it's been a few months since I sent the original email. Finally got over there to retrieve the parts. I believe you are correct that this matches a 15-175 pivot shoe and a series 152 spring. The dimensions of the pivot shoe match the description for the 15-175. The spring has a small "8" stamped into it near the hold-down. Assuming this is an 8lb spring? I don't know if that would be the correct size for the window overall dimensions - 35 3/4 x 37 1/4 as printed on the label.

The latches needed are actually from another window in the home. Not sure if it's the same manufacturer, but I included some photos of the window label (Owens Corning) and the latches themselves. Looks like they are all plastic, so not surprising they broke. The latches are 3 1/2" long and 1" wide. Hole spacing is 2 9/16"

Thanks again for the assistance.

Mark
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220419_152021.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220419_152834.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220409_183534.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220419_153258.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220419_153330.jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for getting back to me, Mark! The stamped number on the coil spring represents the weight but you can always weigh your sash and divide the weight by the number of coils on both sides of the window to confirm the correct option. 

We don't have a tilt latch with 2-9/16" hole center spacing but the design of yours is similar to our 26-439 with 2-7/16" hole center spacing. Double check your dimensions and compare them to ours to see if this matches up. 

Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.