I am sure these windows are builder grade
I need to replace these springs on several windows
The only markings I see on window is at the latch
It shows MW
Thanks
Jim
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting, Jim. It sounds like you need to replace your spiral balances. I think we can help you do this, but I'll need a little more information. Is there an undamaged version of your spiral balance that you can show us? If so, can you show us its colored tip? Could you also provide the diameter and length of the outer tube? Do not include the tip in this measurement. See the video below for more details. Thanks!

A home owner from Charleston sc says:
Bob,
Thx for reaching back out
I have added 2 pictures
I watched video. I don't think the ones I have look like ones in video
It appears the white tube that I have is 3/8
As far as color tip, I don't see it. The one picture I sent appears to have a "yellowish " color
Appreciate the help. If we can figure it out I will need to order quite a few.
Profile picture of Bob

Thanks for this extra information. We're getting there. If the outer tube diameter is indeed 3/8" then you have one of our Series 900 Spiral Balances--but if it's 5/8" you have a Series 600, so be sure to double-check this. You still need the the length of that outer tube (not including the colored tip or spiral rod) to determine what specific length you need. 

As far as your colored tip goes, it looks like to me more of an off-white. Old white tips used to indicate a strong spring; they now indicate a weak spring in modern balances. So the best thing to do would be to weigh your window sash, because once you know what specific spiral balance you have, you can match your window sash's weight to one of the weight ranges listed for each colored tip option on the product page. Let us know if you have any other questions.

This particular window weighs 17 pounds
I measured again and it is 3/8 wide ( the white part in picture. I have attached picture showing length of white casing. Approx 34 inches
As you can see in last picture the spring has a screw that holds it in place at the top
Thanks
Jim
Profile picture of Bob

I think we could offer a recommendation now. Based on all the information and photos you provided, our S900-34 spiral balance with a white tip sounds like it would make a good replacement. Look it over to confirm if this is the part for you. 

Bob
Thx for info
I think I would like to purchase a pair
I want to try it and if all is good I will need to purchase a few more.
How much for each one? How do I order and pay?
I also need one additional part. See photo
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Hm, this is a little curious. Your pivot shoe can be replaced by our 15-219. Could you double check the diameter of the outer tube of your spiral balance and confirm that it's 3/8"? Because normally this pivot shoe uses the Series 600 5/8" balance tube instead. Many thanks.

Paul
I have attached a picture showing measurement of the white outer tube
As you can see it is less than 1/2 inch across
I assume i am taking the correct measurement
Let me know if I need to provide any other info
Thank you
Profile picture of Paul

It's tough to tell from just a tape measure. If the diameter of the outer tube is only 3/8", though, then you want to go with our Series 900

Thank you
I installed the parts that you recommended. Went very well.
I will be ordering additional parts to repair my other windows.
Great information and the videos are excellent
Jim
Profile picture of Paul

Awesome! I'm happy to hear it worked out. Thanks again for your business and please let us know if you ever need anything else.

How to identify a replacement spiral balance
How to identify a replacement spiral balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.