Looking to add a lock cylinder

A home owner from San Diego says:
I have a Truth 45434 patio slider door handle and was looking to add a lock keyed lock cylinder to this handle. It looks like you cylinder would fit?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named EAA8586E-B4CE-4713-B220-8AD163E012E9.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named E0026450-C6B2-4A8E-85FF-78E8E21AC494.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 975F1E35-C16A-49EB-B1FC-61A8DB15289B.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 168923B2-8D55-451F-A2FB-55D624A9F47B.jpeg
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Good question. Your outside handle set has a centered key plug, while your thumb lever is offset down. That means you will not be able to pop a a key cylinder in your handle. That said, you will need a new handle set, like our 82-044, with a 82-315 key lock. Take a look at the video below for more details.

A quick learner from Winnipeg says:
Hi there,

I'm trying to do exactly what's being done above. I have a question before I go ahead and purchase. The Truth 45434 outside pull sits flush with the door. In the case of your handle, it looks like the shafts designed to receive the screws protrude. In my case the door frame doesn't leave much room to accept those protrusions. Can you tell me how deep they are on your handle?

Cheers,

John
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DFDF7AED-01B9-4734-979F-81389A2515F7.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 74853173-67F2-4802-B07B-39EBFB7BA319.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

The screw posts on the 82-044 do stick out a little, yes. At 9/32" diameter, they're designed to fit inside the holes in the door. That said, I've seen some older doors whose holes were too narrow to accommodate this size. Whenever I encounter that, I just take a rat tail file and widen them a hair. It doesn't usually take much, just enough to get them to fit. 

That said, most of the time I find that the holes in a door are wide enough to accept the screw posts. It's rarely an issue, but when it is the solution is simple.

A home owner from Denver says:
The people who were looking to add a lock on their 45434, what did you guys finally did? Cause I have the same handles here and was looking for the same thing, putting a lock on one of my door. THX!
A handy person from Woodland, CA says:
I'm working on a project like this, and I think it'll work with the 82-315. Dave Sr. noted that the outer handle's key plug is centered, but the handle also has six screw holes (of which you use two) so the outer handle can be adjusted up and down into one of three positions. After removing the handle and adjusting which holes I'm using, the key plug alignment will be perfect.
A quick learner from Lakewood Wa says:
I have this exact brand inside and outside handle and I want to add an outside lock. Mine though is controlling a longer two latch mechanism, so the latch handle on the inside is using the middle slot of the inside handle (ie, NOT offset). I see the 82-044 has been discontinued, to use with the 82-315. With having the inside latch in the middle (NOT offset), is that a knock out on the outside handle (in the middle also) that is able to be knocked out and some sort of keyed cylinder be added? Please advise. Thank you.
Profile picture of Tom

Hello! Thanks for contacting us. I'll do my best to assist you with this project.

When you're referring to a knock out hole, are you talking about the one that's on the handle that's currently installed on your door? Assuming that your style is identical to the photos above, then you should be able to knock that hole out, yes. This is centered and made specifically to allow the installation of a key lock. Just make sure that the hole is in alignment with the mortise slot; just because the hole is centered doesn't mean the slot will be.

Our 82-310 key lock should be compatible with this original handle. Alternatively, we sell the 82-030A. This is a complete handle set that comes with a key lock already installed in the center position. You wouldn't have to knock anything out, you can just put it right in your door. It should be compatible with all the existing hardware.

A quick learner from Lakewood Wa says:
Thanks Tom! I think I will just order the 82-030A complete kit. I appreciate your help!
Profile picture of Tom

You're very welcome! Thanks for the business and please don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of any further assistance.

How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to install the 82-030 Handle Set
How to install the 82-030 Handle Set
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.