Making a patio with the ability to lock

A handy person from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada says:

This handle set has no markings whatsoever.

So far even the locksmith could not install the key cylinder that we purchased from a glass parts store who thought they knew what would fit via photos. So it's tricky. The key area is positionally challenging and required the handle ( that came with the key ) to be moved to another position and then only one screw fit for securing it. The other screw just hit a void in handle. Then the key was so close to the side of door as well. Does that make sense?

We called a locksmith after my husband who is quite a handyman couldn't get it but now we realize that the part just won't work because the locksmith also had the same problem .

Maybe you know about all the issues that can happen?

Thank you if you can help.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0C083CEB-E037-4881-86AE-9B93E22A5336.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named E7FF390A-E257-4A28-BEE6-B570C3CCED20.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named A3FD48DF-08C0-4554-8762-65B099CC5C24.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named F3E72A4D-B398-4BCC-934C-DE43051900CA.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0337D8B4-9A23-4A4D-91A1-47F6AC31E9AD.jpeg
A handy person from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada says:

I was hoping that Swisco could help. Maybe I can clarify the problem.

The screw holes are 3 15/16" apart but the new handle that came with key lock wouldn't work because the hole for the lock is in a different place and won't work.

So maybe the existing handle can work but I don't want to punch holes until I know it will.

Also the latch is very tight causing a problem to even latch it from inside. So a key will maybe break?

Thanks for any ideas.

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thank you for your patience in this matter. I definitely think we can help with this problem. It's actually a very common issue; the thumb lever is offset, but the outside key plug is centered, so they won't meet in the middle.

I'll never understand why patio door manufacturers keep making outside handles this way. I guess they figure you'll never want to lock the door. Who knows!

Fortunately, we have a way around this. The easiest solution would be to simply purchase a new outside handle and key lock that allows you to install the key in the appropriate position. I recommend our 82-044 handle and 82-315 key lock. We even have a video on how these parts interact. Give it a look and let me know what you think of this solution.

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

We are happy to have been able to help you with this. Once you get the parts you need, please come back and let us know how everything worked out. 

A handy person says:
Thank you very much.
I am hopeful about your solution.
I think I need a patio door guy first because the latch is terribly tight and I'm not even sure that the key could turn it. So once I get that figured out then I will want to order what you are offering!
Much appreciate this.
Sheryl
How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.