Metal Bi-fold closet doors circa 1960s - replace pins and springs

A handy person from NYC says:
Hi! Asking for help in finding replacements parts for a circa 1960s metal bi-fold closet doors in my co-op. I have 4 sets of these doors. Would love to keep them and refinish the metal to original. Call me crazy.

None of the closets close properly. The bottom "pin" doesn't seem to stay in he track and I always have to pull "up" o open or close the doors.
Perhaps parts have been lost through different owners.

Hope the pictures help. I do not see any "clips" and...I have a wing nut on the bottom long screw/pin.

Thanking you!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named top sBOTTOM pring_metal bi fold doors foyer.east.j
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named top spring_metal bi fold doors foyer.east.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! I think we can help with these. Now, your doors are fairly old, so we may not have these exact pins, but I'm hoping one of our more modern parts can be used the same way.

Before we go any further, I'll need a few measurements from you. Specifically I will need the diameter of the pin itself and the diameter of the top part of the cap; that is to say, the part of the cap that goes into the track. That way I'll know what size it needs to be to fit in both the door ant track.

Any other details you can give me would be a huge help, such as brand name or even just photos of the other pin assemblies so that we have a better idea of context. Those two dimensions are definitely the most important, though, so please let me know if you can get those for me.

Hi Tom,
Would appreciate any help finding similar or replacement pins and spring to fit into the track.
The long pin measures tiny bit smaller than 1-1/4" in diameter and that is also the diameter of the rest of the pin. You will see that there is a larger part, too.
Unfortunately, cannot see any brand name.

Happy to send photos of other parts.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Top Cap_Pin_Closet.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210812_085414.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210805_121310.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Closet_fullview.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

To help you to get started, please look at two bifold pins we sell that are similar to your originals: the 21-002 and 21-065. Compare them to yours and see what you think. Don't be concerned with the lengths, what you need to check is the top nylon cap diameter and pin diameter.

Thank you Paul. I think this is a great start!
Bi-fold Door Repairs
Bi-fold Door Repairs
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.