Milgard 33" balance

A home owner from Port Townsend WA says:

Hi, We have what we believe to be Milgard windows. Based on other posts I think maybe we need a series S386-33. 

The channel is 33" long. The depth of the bottom is 1-3/32". Channel width is a shy 5/8". Width of the base is 15/16" or a tad less perhaps due to wear. Top width is of course the same. Matrix printed in black ink on the balancer is "32HP44-45 FW CMC O". I did not weigh the window. It is pretty big and could be close to 50 lbs. Also there are nylon brackets screwed to the window with a single pan Philips head screw per side. 

I think these should be replaced as the catch portion of the top of the balance is worn and the corresponding part on the window. Can you id these parts or do I need to provide the weight too?

Thanks!

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named big window balance bottom.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named big window balance top.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I agree, our S385-33 looks like a good match, especially if your shoe is 1-3/32" deep. That stamp is really weird, though. I highly recommend taking your sash out of the window and getting an exact weight. If it exceeds the available options for our S385-33, let me know and we can look into getting something stronger for you.

A home owner from Port Townsend WA says:
I will weigh the sash. I am also curious whether you offer a replacement part for the window sash against which the balance pushes? It is a small nylon part, from memory about an inch long that sticks out maybe 3/8" or 1/2" and is secured to the sash with a single Philips screw. There is one on each side of the sash corresponding to each balance. I am afraid if I do not replace these parts, that the balance will shove past them as they appear to be a bit worn. Thanks!
Profile picture of Tom

It sounds like you're talking about the top sash guide. We offer a wide selection of these, so there's a good chance we have what you need, but we'll have to see it out of the window to ID it. If you can, please show us a shot from the front and from the side. Think of it like a mugshot. From there, we'll do our best!

A home owner from WA says:
I finally pulled out our window and took shots of the alleged top sash guide for your review. The principle dimensions are as follows: L= 1.47" (37.5 mm) W = .63" (16 mm), D = .53" (13.5 mm). Front side and quarter images added.

thanks
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named balattachfront.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named balattachqtr.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named balattachside.jpg
Searching around, the sash guide 18-188 looks close though not an exact match. The tallest part front to back is 1/2" long on mine and on the 18-188 the dimensioned image says 7/16 but I bet that is OK. The rest of the dimensions match.
Profile picture of Tom

I agree, the 18-188 looks like a very good choice. I'm just not sure of that 7/16" dimension you pointed out. I don't see that on our store page. Can you confirm?

I meant the 9/16" (not 7/16, sorry) dimension shown in the side view for the tall little box section. Mine is more like 1/2" though maybe got squnched that way by the force of the balance pushing on that edge in particular. Other difference is that the top hole that is inside the box I am referring to is a slot on mine though my application uses only the middle hole. I am confident enough to go ahead and order a pair of balances and sash guides so will do so.

thanks
Profile picture of Tom

Sounds great. Be sure and get back to us and let us know how everything works out.

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.