Milgard Sliding Door - Weatherstripping and Front Panel

A quick learner from Millbrae, Ca says:
Hi,

Currently my Milgard sliding door leaks, so I'm looking for a few parts that could help. I would like to replace the weather stripping with something more waterproof. As you can seen in the photos the current pieces are broken. Can you recommend something that would have a better seal than the style currently in place. Maybe something rubber.

Could you also recommend a piece a plastic (might be a nylon) that I can place over the bottom plate. The bottom right snapped off and would like to glue/caulk something to the side so it doesn't leak. Doesn't have to be perfect as long as its white I'm ok.

Thanks!
Marc
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5231.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5233.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5235.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5236.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5238.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting, Marc. We could help supply you with the wool pile you have around your door, but not the broken nylon material. That looks to be part of the frame itself and not something we can get a hold of. Your best bet would be to contact the manufacturer of the door. 

If you were interested in the wool pile, you can see our selection here. I'm sorry that we couldn't be of more help. 

Is there a particular wool pile that helps with water/rain?
I'm also open to a rubber alternative, it doesn't have to match what I sent.
In regards to the frame, I'm only looking for a piece of plastic/nylon that I can glue to the front. Is this something you have?

Also would you have a replacement for the sliding door adjustment cover? Not sure if thats the correct name, but its two small plastic circles on the inside bottom of the sliding door. Its in the photo I posted with the broken bottom.

Thanks for the help!
Would something like this work?
https://www.swisco.com/3-16-3-8/pd/Bubble-Seal/58-135
Profile picture of Tom

Hello again! We carry a few different wool piles that help against moisture specifically. The 58-021, 58-045, and 58-158 are a couple examples. We have more, too. Basically anything that has that center strip, which is called a "rain strip" because of the very function you describe. Just make sure to match up the other dimensions, like the base and height. That will be the deciding factor.

I see you also brought up the 58-135. I'm a little hesitant to recommend a bubble seal to replace a wool pile, since they tend to be a little bigger. It does compress, but if it's still too thick then the excess friction could make your door harder to slide. I'm not saying it can't work, just that it wouldn't be my first recommendation. A wool pile of the appropriate size and with a rain strip would be better.

I'm afraid we don't carry flat nylon strips or anything that would cover that gap. That's a little outside our wheelhouse. A local hardware store should have something, though.

We also aren't able to supply the covers that run the inside length of the frame. For those, you would definitely have to contact the original manufacturer.

Would you have a walkthrough video, that shows how to replace the weatherstripping on a sliding door?
Profile picture of Tom

As a matter of fact, we do. Well, it's not a video about this particular type of door, but I think it will be a huge help for you. You can see it below.

Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Cut Out Pile Weatherstripping
How to Cut Out Pile Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace wool pile weatherstripping
How to replace wool pile weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.