Milgard series1510/1580/1680

A quick learner from Las Vegas, NV says:
Window aluminum frame has cut outs as shown in above pictures. Top window frame has NO place for take out clips. Channel balance that I need is S390-21 option 2040
Is there another part that goes into the Cut Out section of the window frame?

Thank you.
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
The cut outs are for the face guides so the sash doesn't rub against the window frame. It's unfortunate that we haven't been successful in locating the Milgard face guide you show. We have something that may work, our 55-034 sash guide runner that you can cut to the sash height or small pieces for your window. Please review our part carefully.

We would very much like to see your top sash guide on the sash and window balance to compare. As for the take out clip, please upload some photos that give us the full view of the window channel that the sash rides in.
Profile picture of Paul
We just received your return of the S385-21 with a 2010 stamp you purchased. However in this discussion you said you needed one with a 2040 stamp. Was that the only issue?

As for how to remove the sash and balance, you only show a hole in the track where normally there would be a take out clip. You will need to find a pan head screw with a large enough thread to screw in the hole. When you find the screw turn it into the frame leaving about a 1/8" to a 1/4" out, just enough so the sash clears, but also sticking out enough so that it hooks onto the balance. That will act as a temporary take out clip. When the replacement is done, you can just remove the screw.
A quick learner from Las Vegas, NV says:
I sent my old broken channel balance to be replaced for the incorrect order of the S385-21. I got the incorrect option and believe that I need the 2040 due to the weight of the window. If you can send the same channel balances with the same specifications as the broken one in the box, that will be greatly appreciated. Besides the hole where the take out clip usually is. We will try the pan head screw method that hopefully will hook onto the balance correctly.

Thank you. Wish me luck!
Profile picture of Paul
I agree, the 2040 option is definitely what you need. You can purchase the new balances whenever you wish the same way you did before.
How to replace a window sash channel balance
How to replace a window sash channel balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
Replacing Glazing Bead and Glass in an Aluminum Window Sash
Replacing Glazing Bead and Glass in an Aluminum Window Sash
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Vinyl Window Glazing Bead
How to Replace Vinyl Window Glazing Bead
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
How to Replace Insulated Glass in an Aluminum Window with Snap-In Glazing
How to Replace Insulated Glass in an Aluminum Window with Snap-In Glazing
GUIDE
READ >
How to Replace Glazing in a Vinyl Window
How to Replace Glazing in a Vinyl Window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.