Milgard window balancer

A handy person from Sonoma, CA says:
I'm looking to replace a Milgard window balancer that is stamped 26-4 HA2 CMC 24. 1/2 INCH channel.
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. I am positive we have a channel balance we can offer you, however, I'll need to see a photo of your balance removed from the window to confirm the right replacement. The stamp only indicates to us the weight range your balances should be able to carry but not the series of the balance. Also, I am unable to identify it based on the brand given that these balances are compatible with a few different brands.

I'll need to see any attachments that might be on top and bottom of the metal channel as well as any that could be left behind in the window, depending on the type of balance you have.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hi Jasmine,
Photos attached and overall length of balancer is 28?"
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20230412_193118379.MP.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20230412_193156430.MP.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20230412_193144239.MP.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20230412_193118379.MP.jpg

Your balances appear to be either the S380-27 or the S385-27, especially since your balance is stamped with a 26-4 stamp, which would be our 2640 stamp. It is likely the metal channel of your balance measures 27", not including the attachments. I would be sure to double check this.

To determine which of these is the series you'll need, confirm the dimension for the depth of the bottom shoe. It should either be 1" or 1-3/32". Let me know if it doesn't match either measurement.

Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.

The length of the metal is 27" and the bottom shoe depth is 1"
Thanks!

Okay, great!

Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist with.

One more question, Jasmine. What top sash guide do I need to go with the window balancers we've been talking about?

There are a few different top sash guides compatible with the channel balances you have. To narrow down the right replacement, I'll need to see a photo of the your top sash guide. I'll need to see it from both a front profile and side profile view.

Hi Jasmine,
Here are some photos of the top sash guide from a couple of angles with measurements written on the guide.
Jim
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20230426_153145055.MP.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20230426_153108725.MP.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20230426_153050956.MP.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20230426_190516424.MP.jpg

Thanks for the photos. They help a great deal. Your top sash guide isn't made any more but the good new is that it can be replaced with the 18-009. You'll just need to check that the other dimensions are the same. 

Detail of 18-009
Detail of 18-009

Keep in mind, you'll need to trim the top edges off to install this top sash guide. So I do want to make you aware that any altered parts are non-returnable. 

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.