Milgard windows with no takeout clips

A quick learner from Las Vegas, Nevada says:
My Milgard windows in my 20 year old house have nearly all had the balances fail. They are vertical, non-tilt windows and are aluminum. Every video I've seen, including on your and the Milgard site all make note of opening the takeout clips in order to remove the windows. Mine do not have take out clips, nor is there a place in the frame for them. I've called Milgard and they didn't have a clue what to do, I called a window repair company off Angie's list and when he came over, ditto. I know there's a way to install new ones, otherwise they wouldn't be in there now. Any ideas? Thanks!
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Sorry to hear of your trouble. We have had plenty of customers encounter a similar issue when their existing take-out clips were misplaced. Not even having a slit for them to begin with is a little weird, but also not necessarily surprising in this business, as manufacturers aren't exactly upset if you are left with the impression that you have no choice other than to replace the whole dang window! At any rate, we do have a working solution for customers who are missing their take-out clips, and I think it could work in your situation too. 

What you'll need to do is drill screws into the window jamb, perhaps halfway up to the very top (see the video below, you'd normally drill these screws in right below where the take-out clips would be). When you raise the sash, the head of the screws should catch the channel balances, just like the take-out clips would. You should be able to then remove the sash and follow the replacement procedure as shown in our video below. This isn't an ideal solution, as you'll need to remove the screws whenever the window is in regular use. But it's your only option in lieu of having any take-out clips, and we've found it will work in your situation. Let me know if you have any questions. 

Bob,

Great advice! I've ordered new balances from you which arrive tomorrow. I'll try your method and let you know either way if it works or not.

Thanks!

Bob
This worked like a charm! There is a small hole in each side of the window frame approximately 6" from the top of the frame. They were not threaded but it was a simple job with a screw gun to run a screw into each hole, then the windows came out just like if you had take out clips.

Thanks for the great advice, I'm sure there are more 20 year old Milgard windows out there just like mine.
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Awesome! Thanks for reporting back. Yes, this is not an uncommon dilemma, which could lead to giving up on replacing the balances if one doesn't know this little trick, so I'm glad you came to us. Let us know if you ever need anything else, and thanks again for reaching out. 

A quick learner from Lewisville, TX says:
I have a single-hung window with spiral channel-balances. I ordered some spiral balances from Swisco, but I have a problem. One of the sash brackets (screwed from the side inwards, not bottom upwards) seemed to dislodge. I have no apparent way to change it without taking the sash out. There are no clips at the top to catch the balance. It has a spiral balance that runs to the top of the window. How do I take this sash out, to replace the sash bracket?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230930_122701.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230930_120538.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230930_120527.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230930_120505.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the odds are very high that you won't be able to remove your sash at all. It looks like you have an old, aluminum builder's grade window, which were mass produced for use in new constructions several decades ago. These are not meant to be repaired and were not designed for maintenance. Rather, the manufacturer wanted you to just buy a new window instead.

That's not helpful when the people who made this window are likely long since out of business, unfortunately, but that is the scenario you're in now. It is possible to remove the sash but it requires partial disassembly of the entire window frame just to get to it. I wouldn't try it. Instead, your next step should be to contact a local professional to come out and look at this window for you.

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.