Milguard Windows Balances

A handy person from Los Angeles says:
Hello,

I just moved in a new home which was built in 1087.
Many of Milguard windows need new balances.

I like to purchase 10 x 11C and 2 x 2040 windows balances.
As a matter of fact, most of defective window balances only need to replace the coil spring in side of the balance.
Is it possible to buy the spring only otherwise I like to purchase whole channel.

Prompt response is greatly appreciated.

John Y
User submitted a photo of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! Looks like you might have our Series 390 channel balance. Does that look good to you? You should double check the top and bottom fittings so that they match. I'd also like you to confirm the length of your metal channels. It looks like one might be 12" long, which means it has to be custom made. Let me know.

Unfortunately, we can't replace springs. It can be very dangerous to hook a spring under pressure to balance rivets.
Metal part of Milguard "11C" is 11"
and
Metal part of Milguard "2040" is 21".

Is it possible to order from you?

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Yes, you can order these balances from you. For the longer one, I think you'd be interested in our S390-21. As for the shorter one, it will have to be custom made. I just need some extra information before I can begin.

Can you give me the weight of the window sash? Usually a stamp of 11C would go with a 12" long balance, but since yours is 11" long I'll need to know the weight of the sash so that I can choose the appropriate option. Let me know!
Hi Tom,

Thanks a lot for your help.

I will go with S390-21 for "2040".

Yes. You are absolutely right. It's 12" long for "11C".
Can I get your part# for "11C"?

John
Profile picture of Tom
Great! That makes things a lot easier then. Take a look at this Custom Channel Order Form that I've started for you based on your specifications and fill out the rest of the information. One of our representatives will get back in touch with you shortly thereafter with a price quote.
A quick learner from 91321 says:
Hi Tom,

I received 2 of S390-21 and I installed.
Amazingly it's good quality, price and perfectly fit.
Of course, I need more of them.

By the way, I just found some windows with "11D".
this window has same height as "11C" but width is different.
"11C' is 13" but "11D" is 25", 12" wider.
Please advise your part number.

I also need your part number for Milguard "1730".

"2040" -> S390-21
"11C" -> 12" Custom Order
"11D" -> 12" I guess another custom order
"1730" -> 18" ????

Thanks for your help.
Profile picture of Tom
Great! I'm glad to hear everything worked out for you. For the 11D, check out this Secont Custom Channel Balance Order Form. This is with the 1140 option.

As for the 1730, is it also the Series 390 channel balance? If not, could I see some pictures of the nylon attachments on either side? That will help us determine what you need.
A quick learner from Newhall says:
"1730" is exactly same look as "2040" but different length.
If 21" "2040" is S390-21 then 18" "1730" should be S390-18 in your theory. Right?
Profile picture of Tom
Yes, that's correct. If the shoes are the same, then you're looking at our S390-18. Just make sure everything matches! I always say, better safe than sorry.
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.