Millgard window balance replacement parts

A quick learner from San Diego, CA says:
I have a milgard double hung tilt out window and the plastic balance clip (shoe??) at the bottom broke on the left side. I circled the part in red on the photo of the right side. Do I need to replace the full balance or can I replace just this clip? The stamp on the balance didn't bring up a part number. The metal balance is 22" and with the clip that attached it's 24". Can you help identify the replacement part(s) needed? Thank you!
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Many thanks for writing in. Milgard customers with your type of pivot shoe and balance system have used our 15-210 pivot shoe. If you need to replace the balance system, you can use the S770-22 with a stamp option of 22D, for a sash weighing between 21 through 24 lbs.

Many thanks! Just ordered the parts via your site.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Excellent. If you need anything else do let us know. 

I made a cutout at the top of the window track so I could insert the new shoe.The shoe doesn't slide easily down the track; I need to use a hammer to knock it down. It also only fits down the track when the bottom piece of the show is in the "closed" position. I've watched your youtube videos on replacing the shoe and it shows someone using a screwdriver to twist that part to an "open" position. The channel is so narrow that I can't turn it. Any idea how I get this shoe installed? Thanks!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble! There are two possibilities. The first is that the shoe might be in the locked position. Pivot shoes have two positions, locked and unlocked, which is determined by the orientation of the cam. When the cam turns, two little pads on either side of the pivot shoe extend and retract. This prevents the shoes from shooting up into the balance when you remove your sash, since the balance keeps them under constant tension. 

Looking at your photo, the cam appears to be in the unlocked position. This should allow the shoe to slide freely in the jamb. Did you turn it that way with a screwdriver, or was it like that even when you had to use the hammer?

The other possibility is that the 15-210 is too thick for your jamb. This is peculiar, since this was made specifically for your type of window. Do you still have your old shoe handy? If so, please tell me its width and thickness. 

In the recent photo the shoe was in the locked position. In my original post, the shoe was in the unlocked position (I think).

Regardless, I compared the replacement shoe to the original and they were the same size in both width and thickness, so it must be the channel got narrow? I live in San Diego, so the temp will be 60 degrees during the day and 40 degrees at night. Could this swing in temp cause the channel to narrow, even over time?

The cleaning lady broke the shoe when she was trying to open or clean the window. I'm not exactly sure how it happened, meaning, the window may have been stuck and she was pushing too hard? Maybe it's time I call a professional? Thanks again for the advice!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Huh, that's weird... I've never heard of a jamb being warped that much, but I suppose it's possible. 

I think you might have your locked and unlocked positions mixed up. When the slot in the center cam is horizontal, the shoe is unlocked. This is because when the sash is in place as normal, the pivot bar that connects it to the shoe sits in that same position. The shoe has to be unlocked when in that position or else you wouldn't be able to open and close the window. 

A local professional  may be able to shed some insight on what the issue is. When it comes to a problem like this, it's hard to be 100% sure without having the window in front of me. If you learn anything new, please let us know! This is a bit of a weird situation but I have no doubt I'll get another customer who will tell me the same thing. Happens all the time in this business.

How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.