Missing Channel Balances - Need to identify which type

A quick learner from 92105 says:

Hello - I am missing both Channel Balances from a single hung non-tilt window. The brand of window is unknown / unmarked. Hope you can help me identify which channel balances I need to order. I believe Channel width was 1/2" because the vinyl trough where it goes is almost 1" wide.

Thank you! Rhoda

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 12.17.08 PM.png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 12.16.33 PM.png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1053.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2155.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6278.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Rhoda. I'm afraid that without the original balance on hand, it won't be possible for us to accurately ID a match. The best I can do is guess. If you're willing to take a chance, then please tell me the height of the visible glass of the sash these balances used to support. Please also tell me the exact weight of the sash, down to the ounce. It's important to be as precise as possible; these are some of the few details I don't need to guess, so I'd rather not leave them to chance.

Finally, if you had an identical window in the house that still has all its hardware, we can use that as a reference. That would make this a lot easier.

Hi Tom,
Thank you so much. Believe me, if the unit had another single hung-window with original balances, I wouldn't be in this predicament. :) Note: the other windows in the other units (in same building) have windows that say "American Craftsmen on their latch BUT this window does NOT have the same style latch. And the latches on the windows in this unit are completely unmarked. So I cannot be sure that the brand is the same as in the other units but it's possible. I will get answers to your questions! And YES, I am willing to take a chance! Thank you! Rhoda.
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks, Rhoda! I figured as much. Once you can get me those measurements I will do my best to find something that will work for you.

Hi, I have measurements and weight now: Vertical Measurement of sash (glass portion only) is: 18 15/16 inches (see photo). Weight of Sash: 8 lbs 8.9 oz (weighed at UPS store) Thank you.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 3.39.13 PM.png
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you! Okay, so with this data in mind, my recommendation would be the S385-19 channel balance with an 1820 stamp option. Let me break down the logic of this pick.

Number one, this style of balance is very common in windows like yours, especially the top and bottom nylon fittings. I believe the top fitting, the 19-005, will be compatible with your top sash guide. The 15-004 bottom fitting, however, is another story. It is a relatively large shoe, so there is a chance that it is too big to fit in your channel. What this means is that when you open and close your sash, these bottom fittings will dig into your track on either side and cause damage. It's very important that you keep this in mind! If you install these balances and find that they're too big, don't try the sash. Instead, remove the balances and shave the 15-004 down a little, by about 3/32". That will give your sash the room it needs to operate. 

On the other hand, the big shoe may be exactly what you need and this won't be something you have to worry about. It's simply not possible to know. Better to shave down a large shoe if necessary than pack out a smaller shoe, which probably isn't possible to begin with.

One other thing to note is that the S385-19 has little tabs on both the top and bottom nylon fittings. These may get in the way of operation, but if that's the case then you can just snip them off.

Finally, the 1820 stamp option carries 8 through 12 pounds, which should be fine for your sash weight.

Please note that I cannot guarantee that this will work for you, it's simply my best guess. I have no idea if it will work or not. Also note that balances altered in any way, like by shaving a shoe down or snipping off tabs as previously suggested, cannot be returned for a refund. See our return policy here for more information. These may be necessary for the balance to work, but they would also invalidate your ability to get a refund. If you have any other means at your disposal to figure out what these balances are without needing to guess, I highly recommend pursuing it.

How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.