Mortise Lock, Round Face 82-218

A home owner from San Jose, CA says:
I am looking at the Mortise Lock, Round Face 82-218. I need a new latch for my sliding glass door. I don't know who it is made by but someone suggested it might be Viking. I live in a mobile home. Anyway, this latch looks like mine except it seems flipped from top to bottom. Is there any possibility the photo has been reversed? I could send you a photo of mine to show you what I mean. The other Mortise Locks look like the holes are in the right place like mine but the wrong size. If you compare the side view to the flat view you can see the notch is at the top on one and at the bottom in the other. I need to know if the holes are going to line up.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
SWISCO product number 82-218 can be used either way to hook and lock upward or downward. It all depends on how it is installed. This is a very popular lock used by many manufacturers.
A home owner from Fort Myers says:
how do you get the old motise lock out of the of sliding glass door. I removed the two screws but there is not enough freedom to pull the old lock out of the opening.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
The best way to remove the mortise lock is to flip out the hook as if you were locking the door. With the hook exposed, grab it with a pair of pliers to hold on to it while you are removing the installation screws. After you remove the installation screws you should be able to just pull the old lock out of your door.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)