Mortise Lockset 40-049

A quick learner from Jonesborough, TN says:
Installation of new 40-049 lockset went well until I was installing the inside handle (last step!!). Handle would not fit into the rod in the outside handle - the rod "caught" on the casing of the set screw. Either the groove in the rod was not long enough or the casing for the set screw was embedded just a little too far into the inside handle. I had the set screw completely removed and still would not go. Any solution?
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
I'm not quite sure why this is giving you trouble. I will take a look at one of the locks and see why you're running into this problem.
A quick learner says:
I've tried again - several times. Just will not go. I've tried to push the casing for the set screw down, using a small screw driver going into the handle. Should I just push harder??
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
I took a look at a 40-049. The spindle rod does seem a little tight. It looks like when the lock was manufactured, the spindle was made with slight burrs. So what I did was file the spindle smooth and that seemed to do the trick.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 4-7 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at 856-317-6263 or at help@swisco.com.