A quick learner from Milwaukee wi says:

What is the difference between the 45 and 90 lock can you use either one

My lock was broke so I do not know if it was the 45 or 90

How can I tell

The lock will not latch no matter how I adjust the catch? Is the problem

Tried both typse

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm not sure I understand your question. What two products did you want me to compare for you? When you say 45 and 90, are you talking about degrees, as in the angle of the slot? If so, that's the major difference between them: one lock has a 45 degree slot and the other lock has a 90 degree slot.

If your old lock is broken, then there isn't really a good way you can determine what angle you need. You will have to look at what angle your handle's thumb lever takes when it's in a normal position and use your best judgement.

A quick learner from Milwaukee wi says:
Broken mortise lock
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20201130_111057.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20201130_110010.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20201130_111034.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for the photos. As mentioned above, I cannot tell you if your original slot was 45 degrees or 90 degrees. I can tell you, however, that the 82-223 will not replace this. You see, the 82-223 has a squared face, while the face on your mortise is rounded. That means it won't snap into the hole as it should.

The 82-218 may be your best option. This has a 45 degree slot, but I have to stress that the orientation of that slot is not something I can confirm. Your best bet is to look at how the thumb lever on your handle works. You should be able to gauge whether or not that fits 90 degrees or 45 degrees by how it operates.

How to install a Legacy Handle Set
How to install a Legacy Handle Set
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 82-218 Mortise Lock
How to install the 82-218 Mortise Lock
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.