My pivot bar is held in by a cap

A home owner from Minnesota says:
There is a broken pivot bar in the upper sash of a double-hung window. The pivot bar is under a cap of some kind. How do we remove the cap to replace the pivot bar? Does the cap slide or pop off some how?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm not sure that I understand your window setup. I'm not familiar with any kind of cap that holds a pivot bar in the sash. Can you show me a picture? That may help us identify what your issue is and what we can do to help out.

A home owner from Minnesota says:
sorry I took so long to get back. I have attached pics of the window. I hope they are sufficient for you to see my dilema.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200416_095714.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200416_095727.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200416_095734.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200416_095751.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200416_095818.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Ah, I understand now. I was visualizing some kind of peg or clip, but I see now you were talking about the whole bottom portion of the sash frame. Thank you for the photos!

To be honest, it's not common for the pivot bar screws to be obscured by something like this. You usually see this kind of thing on the top of the sash, covering the tilt latches. I can't say for sure, but I would guess that the method of removal of the same: it simply snaps on and off. That said, it can vary from window to window and yours may indeed be held in by something we can't see. 

I'm going to forward this to my colleague who knows more than me about this kind of window. He may be able to offer more insight.

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

For this type of vinyl sash cap, I would use a thin putty knife and work it under the lip, then follow it down the width of the sash. It should pop off so you can get to the pivot bar. After you replace the pivot bar, you would snap the cap back on.

How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.