My sliding glass door has an issue with its lock/latch

A home owner from 29907 says:

My sliding glass door isn't able to lock. I believe there is an issue with the lock/latch. I saw a part on your website that looks similar to the latch that seems broken. Could you please help me to confirm that this is the correct latch? If it is I may want to purchase it.

Thank you for your time,

Henry

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200106_103105.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Henry. Thank you so much for reaching out to us. I'm very confident we can help you with this problem; it's a pretty common sight here.

So, the mortise lock is probably going to be the source of the problem. Odds are the spring inside yours has worn out and it no longer flips the way it should. I'm not sure which part of ours you were looking at, but our 82-218 should work well for you.

That said, this is still just a hypothesis. You should experiment a little to be 100% sure. The best way to do this is to remove your handle from the door and try to flip the mortise lock manually with a flat-head screwdriver. This will tell you beyond any shadow of a doubt that the mortise is, indeed, the problem. When you flip it with the screwdriver and it still hangs up, then we know for sure. 

If it works normally, though, then something else is amiss. Report back to me and we can try to sleuth it out.

I also recommend watching the video below. This should help you during the replacement process, once you get to that point.

How to install a Legacy Handle Set
How to install a Legacy Handle Set
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 82-218 Mortise Lock
How to install the 82-218 Mortise Lock
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.