Need 29" Non Tilt Block and Tackle Window Balance

A home owner from FL says:

Good evening.

I need to replace a 29" Non Tilt Block and Tackle Window Balance according to the attached pictures.

It seems the accessories dimensions (according to my own measurements) match the attached image.

Let me know if you can help.

Kind regards,

Renato

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named unnamed (2).jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named unnamed (3).jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named unnamed (4).jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Thank you for writing in, Renato. Based on your measurements and photos, our S385-29 may work in place of your current balance. Look it over and let us know what you think. Since your stamping does not match with any of our stampings, you will need to weigh your sash on a scale and refer to the sash weight chart on the product page to decide on the most appropriate option for your balance.

Thank you Paul.
I used a travel scale to measure the weight of the sash and decided to buy a pair or 2820.

I will let you know once I receive the items and installed them.

Kind regards,
Renato
Profile picture of Paul

Very well, Renato! Let us know how you make out, and many thanks for considering our business. We appreciate it.

Hello Paul, good afternoon.

The parts arrived yesterday and today I tried to install them. Unfortunately, one plastic accessory did not fit and the height seems not to match. I took some pictures and named as "OLD" (the original part) and "NEW" (the part from SWISCO).

Would you kindly take a look and let me know which one should I order now (with the correct height and shape for the plastic accessory) and how can I return the parts? The other plastic accessory seems to be fine (I did not take any picture of it).

Kind regards,
Renato
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Accessory shape.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG-2758.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Old_Thickness.jpg
Profile picture of Paul

Renato, the company that made your balance tried to compete with other balance manufacturers by using less metal in making the balance channel to cut down on size and the cost. Eventually they went out of business. All balance manufacturers use the same standard size balance channel for your side load window. The important parts are the nylon ends, especially the bottom shoe. Measure the depth of the old shoe and see if it matches the shoe on the new balance. On the lengths, the old and new balance should be 29" with a spring weight (2820). I pulled up another media guide title "How to replace a window sash balance" to further help you.

Hello Paul.

Thank you for your promptly response.

I am attaching 2 pictures, one of the old shoe (little less than 1 in) and the new one (little more than 1 in).

With those pictures are you able to determine which show be the correct shoe?

Kind regards and thank you for your continue support.

Renato
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named new shoe.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named old shoe.JPG
Profile picture of Paul

How about taking a look at our S380 channel balance. measure the depth of your bottom balance shoe as it shown in the diagram below and see if this would make a better option for you.

Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.