Need Correct Arm for Truth 31704

A home owner from Rochester, NY says:
Hello,

I recently attempted to replace the operator arm for a Truth 31704 awning window. The gear in the crank of the old one had become stripped and no longer aligned with the gear on the arm assembly. I purchased the 39-239B from you and it appears to be an exact match with the broken one, however the window does not close all the way as the arms will not fully retract into the base of the sill (see pictures). My guess is that the damage to the old one was caused by repeatedly forcing a misalignment of the operating arm by forcing the window closed. I'm wondering if the old operator arm which broke, was never the correct one to begin with (it was there when I bought the house). I am hoping you can recommend either the correct product, or some other fix for this issue.

Thank you.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0295.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0293.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0292.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0294.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0291.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Is there any other identical awning window in the house? If so, does it work correctly, and can you confirm if it's the 39-239B? If so, then I'm not sure if an incorrect operator is the issue--at any rate I am not sure if it would connect to the window properly at all without some heavy modification if it was not. Remove the operator and try manually opening and closing the window. Does it seem to struggle to move? If so, you might need new window hinges. See if either our 36-048 or 36-049 match what you need. 

A home owner from Rochester, NY says:
Hi Bob - thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, this is the only window of this size and type in the house (the room was part of an addition). The window WILL close all the way without the operating arm installed and there are no issues having it swing open or close. The hinges swing fine without issue. The only problem is the position/storage of the operator when attempting to get the window into the fully closed position.
Thank you.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Maybe I can help! From what I can see in your photos, it looks like the 39-536 pivot shoe is hitting the bottom of the window sill. My guess is that it's possible the 39-556 track was installed too low, causing the operator arm to hit. Take a close look at the window to see if you can indeed move up the location of the track with out damaging the window frame or glass. If that doesn't seem possible, your other option would be to see if you can move the side hinges up a little, to give the window a little more play at the bottom. 

How to Replace a 2-Bar Hinge Set on a Casement Window
How to Replace a 2-Bar Hinge Set on a Casement Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.