Need Replacement Balances

A home owner from 34982 says:
Good Morning,

I've got ten kitchen windows, none of which will stay open. I'm guessing its the balances that need replacing. They are 29" long with a white tip at one end. These windows are over 30 years old, (based on the fact that the house was built in '84). There are several other windows in the house that are in a similar state but I'm going to start with the kitchen to see if this resolves my problem. Can you send me a quote for 20 balances and any tools you think I may need. Thanks.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0708.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0709.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! If your windows won't stay open, then odds are the balances need to be replaced. I'm just not sure what type you have. Can you show me a clearer picture of the bottom tip of the spiral? If your tip is damaged or heavily corroded, please get an undamaged balance that we can look at instead. If any pieces or details are missing, we won't be able to ID a match.

Please also let me know if the windows are tilt or non-tilt.

These windows are non-tilt. 29" long 5/8" width. White tip at one end
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0D064413-5C15-4BBC-BBB3-A334DA083841.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you for the additional photo and information. Have a look at our S500-29 spiral balance. This appears to resemble your part. See if you agree. As for your color tip bearing. Since your color tip does not match with any of our colors, you will need to weigh your sash on a scale and refer to the sash weight chart listed on the store page to decide on the most appropriate color tip. 

The tip is white. The picture shows that it is covered with dirt and grease. You show white tipped balances on your Spiral Balance Tip pages. So I'm don't understand why your asking me to weigh it.
Profile picture of Tom

Not all of our Series of spiral balances offers a white tip color bearing. If you were to go to the store page of the S500-29 spiral balance I recommended in my previous reply, you will only see black, blue, and red color tip bearing; no white. Therefore, you will need to weigh your sash on a scale and refer to the sash weight chart, also listed on the same store page, located below the product description. That is the only you will be able to pick the correct color tip bearing. If you were to decide on choosing a random color tip without knowing the weight of your sash, you're risking not ordering the correct one. Your spiral balances are what helps the window to open and close properly.

The weight of the sash is 6.4 oz. If that is all the info you need please send me a quote for them and any tools I may need to install them. Thanks
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you for your reply. According to the information you have provided, leads us to the S500-29 spiral balance with a red tip. However, I strongly suggest reconfirming the weight of your sash. It seems a bit light for the length of the balance you need. Be sure when weighing the sash, you're completely taking it off the window and placing it directly on a scale. If you also need the tool, take a look at our 75-005. All pricing can be found directly on our website. 

I weighed the sash on a male digital scale. Can you suggest another way to weigh it accurately?

Profile picture of Tom

It sounds like you weighed it on the scale. So if everything is accurate, please review the part I recommended and color tip and you should be good to go. 

How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.