Need Replacement Parts for Milgard Windows

A home owner from California says:
Hello:

I need replacement window parts for Milgard aluminum windows that are approximately 30 years old. I believe the parts I need are called balancers or balancer foot, probably both. The windows are missing parts that allow them to stay up on their own. The windows have to be propped up with a bar to stay open. These windows are very heavy (34" x 36" dual pane) and I would like to acquire the missing parts so we may use the windows more often and prop them open safely. See photos attached. Your help is appreciated.

Celena
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named inside foot other side.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named inside foot.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named instructions on removal.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named missing balancer side 2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named missing balancer.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hi Celena. So you're right, it looks like you need new window balances--specifically, Non-Tilt Channel Balances. Unfortunately, it's very difficult to say what specific kind you need without seeing an original sample. Is there any identical window in the house that still has its balances? If so, could you remove a balance from that window and show it to us? Pictures of any attachments at either end of the metal channel, as well as any stamped numbers on the body of the balance, would be most helpful. 

Now it also looks like that the nylon pieces in the top corners of your window sash are damaged; these are called Top Sash Guides. Top Sash Guides keep the Channel Balances in place during the operation of the window. Your Top Sash Guide looks like our 18-008. Let us know what you think.

Wow! Thank you Bob.

Unfortunately, there are 3 windows and none of them have any of the balance hardware. Is there a way to identify what parts are needed based on the pictures showing the drilled holes in the sides of the windows and the model number in the sticker picture provided? I will order all parts needed to make these windows operational again.

Celena
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Thank you for clarifying, Celena. That will make things a little harder to figure out, but not impossible.

First of all, Milgard has been known to use our Series 385 channel balance. Now, I don't know with 100% certainty if that's the Series you need (Series, in this case, indicates the combination of nylon fittings on either end of the metal channel), but I think it's worth considering.

To determine what size you need, we'll have to do a bit of math. Tell me the height of the sash, the height of the visible glass, and the exact weight of the sash. That will allow us to confirm the length and spring calibration necessary for these balances to work properly in your window.

Hi Paul

Outside sash height is 36" and the inside of the visible glass height is 33". The weight of the window is 11 lbs.

Celena
Profile picture of Paul

Great! That's just what we needed to know. Based on this data, and referring to my explanation in my prior post, I recommend our S385-34 channel balance with a 3310 stamp option. Look this part over and let me know what you think.

Thank you so much Paul. I went ahead and ordered what you suggested. Should I also order Top Sash Guides and Balance shoes? If so, which ones?

Also, I have one other question! Is there a sash guide or something that makes the window less loose? My windows come out whether using the take-out tab or not. Seems like there's another piece that should make the windows not wobble from side to side so much.

Thanks for your help.

Celena

Hi Paul

Is there a sash guide or something that makes the window less loose? My windows come out whether using the take-out tab or not. Seems like there's another piece that should make the windows not wobble from side to side so much.

Thanks for your help.

Celena
Profile picture of Paul

Thank you very much! Your business means a lot. Please let us know how they work out.

There's no need for balance shoes; the S385-34 already comes with them pre-attached. That would be our 15-004.

As for the top sash guide, it would depend on how yours are in now. The one in your photo looks like it's in pretty good condition, so as long as they're all like that then you can reuse them. If any are broken, though, then we recommend the 18-008. I think that'll be a good match.

To your last question, there isn't anything that serves that function specifically, no. Seeing as how these windows didn't have balances when you moved in the house, there might have been a problem with these windows being loose to begin with. Maybe that's why the original owners didn't put any hardware in. 

I recommend seeing if you can add a washer or two behind the top sash guide to push it out further. That might do the trick, though there will be a gap.

Thank you for all your help. This is a great web site.
A home owner from WA says:
I need the vinyl door plate for the sliding glass door in the picture. Can you recommend where I can get a replacement?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230626_121403.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

It sounds like you need the threshold. Unfortunately, we do not sell thresholds of any kind. I recommend contacting the original manufacturer of the door for assistance.

A contractor from Roseburg Or says:
Where can I find battery operated motor-controller for opening a Milgard casement windows to replace hand crank.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm sorry to say we don't deal in electronic hardware of any kind. My suggestion is to contact Milgard directly for assistance.

How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.