Need Replacements for 28 4 CQ CALDWELL channel balances

A home owner from Phoenix, AZ says:
I have four side-loaded Caldwell channel balances needing replacement. They are 29 inches long and stamped 28 4 CQ CALDWELL. Each double-pane, non-tilt window sash weighs approximately 32 lbs. Glass dimensions are 27
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Please see our S390-29. This appears to be a good match, based on your helpful measurements.
Thank you Tom for identifying which series.
The stamp on the old balance is 28 4 CQ CALDWELL, and the sash weight is 32 lbs. Which "Option" do you recommend, 2840 or 2850?
Profile picture of Tom
Ah, I'm glad you weighed your sash. I always feel that it's better to go off of the sash weight than the stamp, if you have the opportunity to check it. I would recommend the 2850 in your case. It's possible the original installers simply didn't have that strength spring on hand when they put in the windows. Did you ever find that the windows were a little harder to open?
I recently purchased this home and only tried opening the windows this spring, so I don't know how easily they opened after original installation in 1997. I assume they have always been difficult because now they were stuck shut. Cleaning the tracks and lubrication hasn't helped. They are VERY heavy and hard to open. Searching the internet for possible causes,I found your website.

I appreciate all your help, Tom. Thank you very much!
Profile picture of Tom
Yep, sounds like the original springs weren't nearly strong enough. I'm confident the 2850 will ease the operation of these windows.

I am very happy to help. If you ever need anything else, please let me know.
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.