spiral replacement parts and tools

Handy Person from North Richland Hills, Texas 76182
Apr 28, 2024 8:05 pm
Hi, my house was built in 2005, and most of the spiral balance are failing. These are vertical windows that slide up and down, non-tilt.

Here's what I know:

- Window type: none tilt
- length of part: 30"
- Diameter: 3/8"
- Color, Please see the attached photo, I believe it is red, but it's faded quite a bit.

I am going to do the replacement myself as homeowner, and there's a CA logo on the window latch. I'd like to know:

- the parts needed (shoe or no shoe)
- the tools needed
- installation instruction

Thank you so much in advance.

Spencer
IMG_6967 IMG_6966 IMG_6965 IMG_6964 IMG_6963
5 user uploaded images
3 Replies
Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO
Apr 30, 2024 10:03 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Thanks for writing in! Your balances appear to be the 3/8" S400-30 Spiral Balance with a red tip. These are typically connected at the bottom of the window using a bracket. To identify the correct replacement, I'll need to see a photo of your bracket removed from the bottom of the sash. Unfortunately, I cannot identify it from the photo of the bottom of the window.

To install this balance, you'll need to work it in from the top of the window, since the sash cannot be removed. You'll need to be carefully not to bend the balance tube or the inner spiral when doing this. There is a guide below that details how to adjust non-tilt spiral balances, take a look to see if that will help as well.

The tool used to install this balance and add tension to it is the 75-005 Spiral Balance Charing Tool for Non-Tilt Windows.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Quick Learner from Texas
May 2, 2024 6:03 pm
Hi, following this thread, I also have an old aluminum window from the early 2000's, and the sash can not be removed.

With the spiral balance, I've been able to remove it, but how the heck do I put the new spiral in? I tried to slide it down but it gets stuck at the bottom because of the pin that runs through the end of the spiral.

I was thinking will pulling these pins out make sense? or I will just end up destroying it?
IMG_6964 IMG_6967
2 user uploaded images
Paul
Paul from SWISCO
May 7, 2024 12:34 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Hello,

Thanks for reaching back out to us! I've had a chance to review your response and your concerns. 

I don't recommend removing the bow tie at the end of the spiral, because you might not be able to securely lock it back in. As you know, the window manufacturer made it very difficult to repair their windows. That said, I believe I have a solution. 

Drop the balance tubes down the side of the sash and attach the tubes at the top of the window track. Have someone raise and hold the window sash up while you using the #75-005 fish for the end of the spiral. Hook the tool to the bottom hole of the spiral turn the bow tie so it passes the clip. Once pass the clip, give the spiral three or four turns adding tension to the spiral and lock the bow tie to the clip. Do the same on the other side and try the sash.

I hope this helps!

Please don't hesitate to reach out with any other questions.

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts