Need help identifying balances

A handy person from South Elgin, IL says:

My son purchased a townhome that's in need of new window balances. The bottom balance plastic ends have been virtually destroyed. I managed to salvage part of what appears to be the bottom of the balance.

A number stamped on the back of the balance is 33400 with "B.S.I." stamped next to the number. The balances are 34" in length.

Thank you so much for your help

Doug

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200829_090011.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200829_090018.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200829_090059.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200829_090232.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hey Doug. Is there any other window in the house that has balances with the bottom nylon fittings still intact? Otherwise it will be difficult to say for sure precisely what bottom nylon shoe was on those balances, which we need to visually ID to confirm. That said, based on the fragment you're showing I have a feeling this is probably either our Series 380 or Series 385. The side tabs is what gives it away. The only difference between these two balances is the depth of the bottom nylon shoe, as depicted in the picture below: 

Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
The Series 380 has a shoe that's 1" deep; the Series 385, 1-3/32" deep. Now, as you probably surmised, if you can't produce a balance with an undamaged shoe, it's going to be really tricky to determine this. That shoe depth does indeed affect window compatibility. In a worst case scenario, what you could do is opt for the S385-34, with a stamp option of 3340. If it proves that the shoe is too deep for the window, you could sand it down slightly with sand paper (basically turning the Series 385 into a Series 380). Just note that if you opt to do this, modified balances are not returnable. 
A handy person from South Elgin, IL says:
I was able to measure the shoe from an undamaged window. It looks like the 1" shoe is the correct one. Definitely not 1 3/32".

Thanks so much for your assistance.

Doug
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Great, it sounds like you need the S380-34 then, assuming the metal channel is 34" in length. You'll then have to choose a stamp option. Based on your balance's old stamp code this should be 3340, for a sash in the weight range of 23 through 28 lbs; but if you're not sure, get the exact weight of the sash to be safe. 

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.