Need help identifying channel balance

A home owner from Pompano Beach, FL says:

Hello,

Could you please help me identify which chanel balance I would need. The with on the photos provided is 1/2" and the height of the metal part is 27".

Best,

Jenny N

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hey, Jenny. Your balance looks like your S385-27. You may want our 2610 option, but you should weigh your sash just to be 100% sure.

Thank you for your response. I am ordering these balances for my handyman to replace on all of our windows. We need two per window. Some windows are wider than others but all the same height. What is the difference between the S385-27 and the 2610 option? What does it mean to weigh the sash? The windows are super heavy, I do know that much lol. Sorry for all the questions I just want to make sure I am ordering the correct parts. This has been a problem for a longtime now and window repair people want to charge $140 per window to fix so if my handyman has the rights parts, I am confident he will be able to fix for much less.
Profile picture of Tom

I'm not sure I understand your question. The 2610 option represents the balance spring's strength calibration; in other words it indicates how much weight your balances can carry. It's not a separate thing that is comparable or different from the S385-27. I recommend the 2610 option based on your old stamp of "261." Your stamp is just an older designation for the more modern 2610 stamp. They just added a 0 to the end, that's all.

If you look on the store page for the S385-27, you can see that the 2610 option indicates that it can carry 5 through 9 pounds. Since you said your sashes are  heavy, then the 2610 option may be too weak. That's why it's important to weigh your sash. You need to remove it from the window and place it on a scale. 

For clarification, the "sash" is the glass panel in your window that you raise and lower to open and close the window. You may think of it as the window itself, but the window is everything: the sash, the frame, the sill, etc. The sash is just the glass panel.

$140 per window to just replace balances is extraordinarily expensive. Are you just replacing the balances? These are less than $10 each and can be replaced very easily. See the video below.

Hi Tom,

I see what you mean now when you refer to 2610 option. I just wanted to mention that my stamp says 2618 not 2610 in case that matters. I have (6) 35" wide windows that are 25 lbs. each sash so I'll order 2640 since that holds 19-26 lbs. I also have (5) 51" wide windows that I am not sure what they weigh but will assume 10 lbs more than the 35" since they are same height so I plan on ordering 2665 which holds 33-36 lbs. Is there anything wrong with ordering up in weight by a stamp for extra support? I will be replacing all the window balances so I want to be sure on all this so I don't have to send anything back.

To answer your question, yes, the cheapest balance repair from a window repair company was $125 which is crazy!! So, Im doing all the leg work and my handy man said he can replace. I really appreciate all of your help and feedback. Thank you!!!
Profile picture of Tom

Great, that all sounds good to me. You definitely don't want to order a spring that's stronger than the weight of your sash, though. It won't give you extra support but will instead make your windows harder to close. If they're too strong, then your sash will actually drift open after you close it. I like to think of it like Goldilock's porridge. Not too strong, not too weak; you want it to be just right.

Hi Tom. The 2640 option for our smaller windows (35" Wide, 25 lb. sash) was perfect! Our larger window sash (51" Wide) measures at 41 lbs. Do you think that the 2670 would work? The sash weight range for 2670 is 36-39 lbs. I appreciate all of your help so far. Thank you in advance.

Jenny
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Greetings! Tom had me confirm this--from my calculations, the S385-27 with a spring weight of 2670 would work for your 51" wide sash.

Thank you kindly!
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Our pleasure. If you have any other inquiries, do not hesitate to share them with us. 

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.