Need help on picking correct parts

A home owner from Pgh pa !5206 says:

I have a very old Trayco mental tilt double hung replacement window. The bottom balance is red 29 inches, about 9/16 wide. 

Picture 3 & 4 shows tape measure and edge of balance, Pictures 1 & 2 show show end of balance and shoe.

I am missing both the balances for the top window. Evidently a tenant removed them some time ago. The top window is about a hair off of 29 in length.Two questions

• It appears that the top and bottom windows are identical. Would the balance be the same.
  • I have absolutely no idea of how to get the shoe out to replace it. Is there a way to remove it?

I will also need a device to tension the spring.If you could call me I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Jack

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 4A0A0DDA-9E5C-45CC-856A-437F149E0174.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named CDDF3E50-FBAE-4F86-BE66-7D3D792C85B1.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named A59D1358-FCB0-4BBE-87FB-B956446DDCA0.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named C6F5BC49-CA13-4AFD-9CBF-243E923261A2.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hi, Jack. Looks like you need new spiral balances. Check the diameter of the outer tube. If it's 9/16", then you want our Series 600.

If the top and bottom window are identical in size then odds are the top and bottom balances are the same size, too. However you should check an identical window elsewhere in the house to confirm.

There are a few ways of removing this kind of shoe. The videos below will clarify.

Finally, for a charging tool, see our 75-006.

How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.