Need new channel balances and side clips

A handy person from Tacoma,wa says:
Existing channel balances are all gummed up and causing the terminal clips to bend where they attach to the window frame. The metal channels are 23.5 inches long. Also have cheap plastic frame clips that are brittle and breaking whn I try to pull them out to re-install the existing channel balances. I need 4 new channel balances and 4 replacement clips necessary to re-install the new channel balances. Will metal frame clips you have work here? See photos? let me know if you need more detail.

Thanks
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 8E02FE98-C19B-43E2-B708-30464B2D1C9F.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named AA3F29ED-9EB6-4E7D-B0D8-3B581BF39E34.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named CC99D742-8EE6-48EA-987A-3A3EA4140303.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named AD868181-4B7C-4AAA-BF86-0CDFD9270B52.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

We can supply this balance, but it has to be a custom order due to its configuration. Before we go any further, I just need a bit more information.

First, can you confirm the length of the metal channel? Based on your stamp of 23-3, it should be 23-7/8" long. This is the only size we can offer for a balance with this design.

Next, can you confirm how many balances you needed altogether?

Lastly, you said you needed the takeout clip. Yours, however, is an older type that is, to my knowledge, not made anymore. Our metal take out clips also won't work as an alternative. Trust me, I've tried many times, but the design is just too different. I hate to say it but your only option, or at least the only option that I got to work myself, is to drill a hole for a screw just about where the old takeout clip installed. As long as the screw sticks out a little then it will serve the same role, and you can remove it once the project is done.

It's not an elegant solution, and it's definitely more of a hassle, but it is your best bet.

Thanks Tom -

I need 4 balances total. I could get by with two, but would prefer to replace both balances on two single hung windows that are both within a much larger picture window frame.

The metal channel I have is 23 3/8 inches. Does this mean I'm outta luck? Or can I make a 23 7/8 inch one work somehow? It looks like I could shorten the channel on a 23 7/8 one by a half inch on either end. Or maybe just use my channel and put the new hardware from your replacement on the old channel? Shorten up the cord a bit, and all good?

I can use the screw idea you suggested, good idea. But if I can't get replacements I won't need to.

Let me know what you think,

Brian

Profile picture of Tom

That length is a problem. When it comes to these extended travel balances, even a 1/4" difference can make or break an installation. The problem you'll run into is that the longer balance will stick out of the sash at the bottom and hit the sill when you go to close the window, leaving a gap.

The alternative, using a shorter balance, might end up being worse. In that scenario the cord won't be long enough for the window to function properly; when you go to close the sash, the cord won't have enough travel to make it all the way down, which will lead to the sash stopping just short of the sill or, in a worst case scenario, the cord even yanking out of the block and tackle system.

I have seen your 3/8" length increment balance before, but I have never been able to track down a reliable source. At this time, the 7/8" increment is all that we can supply at this time.

You can still give it a shot if you want, but these custom parts are non-refundable, so if you buy them to try out then you won't be able to return them if they end up not working. Just let me know if you want to do it anyway and I will email you a custom purchase link and price quote.

I guess Id like to get a price quote for two of the 23 7/8 balances. If I can make those work, I may get the other two.

Do you sell the small metal terminal clip that the cord ties to? I have two balances where that metal clip bent and pulled out of the window frame due to the gummed up rollers. I tried to bend them back and the clips both broke in two. I could make the balances work if I had those two clips.

Also, what is the best lubricant for the balances?

Thanks for your help.
Profile picture of Tom

You got it! I'll email you a purchase link and price quote right now for 2 of these balances. These will be 23-7/8" long but are otherwise the same configuration. The expected lead time is 5-6 business weeks, as these have to be made.

We do sell those metal clips separately, but they are currently out of stock. See our 62-108

As for lubrication, it depends. Silicone spray in the window track itself can't hurt. I like that better than oil since it doesn't attract debris and dust in clumps. For the balance itself, ours all come pre-lubricated but you can use white grease on the spring if your older units are in need.

How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.