Need replacement advice

A home owner from Chicago, IL says:
I need to replace this patio door handle. The screws are 4 inches apart. Door is metal and about 3/4 inch thick. It has rwo pins that turn 45 degrees when the thumb latch is pressed, which makes the pins turn into the outer frame of the patio door to lock the door. The handle keeps getting looser and turning yhe screws doesn't help because they go into a flat nut like hardware on the outside of the door and that little round hardware just spins as i try to tighten the screws so they don't get tightened. Please advise on either a replacement or how to tighten existing handle. Thanks!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named EDE1C278-18C3-40BD-BEA9-88F7EB2B3D30.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 9A5ADDDE-0679-419A-9EA9-2BE093C529EC.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 00D6FF99-710B-4B4E-8C6B-E64C4D6BB25B.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! This is a very old style handle, but believe it or not we still have something that may replace it. See our 82-063. This appears to have the same function and design as your old set, including those latch pins.

Look it over and let me know what you think, or if you had any questions!

Alternate image for 82-063
Alternate image for 82-063

Thanks for replying! That does look like a good replacement that's very similar. But I would have the same problem with being unable to turn the 2 main screws. Right now, I'm unable to tighten them because the hardware on the other side (the outside of the door) just spins the same direction that I turn the screw. So if I tried to remove the screws to take the handle off for replacement, the screws would just spin in the opposite direction but never get looser or come off. The outside, boltlike hardware is very flat and flush against the flat metal door so there's not enough thickness to grab onto it with pliers to keep it from spinning while I turn the screws from the inside. Can you give me advice on how to handle this problem? Thanks.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Hey there, hopefully I can help. I have a few suggestions after reading over your posts. The first would be to use a set of long nose pliers to get the screw to cooperate. You could also try wedging a flat blade screw driver under the head to hold it in place while turning the screw. Lastly, at the end of the day, you can always use a hack saw and cut off the head. There is no exact science to this sort of thing, unfortunately, so it will take some trial and error to get the results you want.

Thanks. I will try those suggestions this weekend.
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.