Need replacement spiral balance rod

A home owner from Princeton NJ says:
Hi,

We have these two double sash wooden windows as seen in the first photo. The two lower sashes (the only ones we're concerned with) each use 2 spiral balance rods, which have become defective. We'd like to replace them but need to get new spiral balance rods.

The lower sashes are 32"W x 27 3/4"H. and the full height of the window is 54".

The remaining photos show 1) a removed spiral balance rod, 2) a close-up of the top of the rod, 3) a close-up of the bottom of the rod and bracket, and 4) a view of a rod properly attached at the top.

The tube is 27" long and 9/16" in diameter. I don't see any colored tip. The bracket is 2 1/2" long and 3/8" wide.

What do you recommend as a replacement spiral balance rod and related hardware for these windows?

Thanks very much.
Dennis
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Dennis. I recognize this balance. It's a very old type not used anymore. I believe that our Series 500 spiral balance can be used as a replacement, in addition to our 17-012 bracket. This setup has been used in wood windows since the 40's. Check out these suggestions and let me know what you think.
A home owner from Princeton NJ says:
Thanks Paul. I had a feeling you would recommend the Series 500, but wanted to wait until you replied before ordering.

BTW, I ordered the red tip because I was not sure of the sash weight and assumed that a 32" x 27 3/4" sash should weigh between 7 and 29 lbs.

Does that seem like a reasonable assumption?

Thanks,
Dennis

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
It's hard to say for sure. The Red Tip is usually a safe bet for these old windows, but there's no saying if yours is heavier than normal. You may want to put a scale on the sill and gently lower the sash on it to get a ballpark. It's not ideal, of course, but it'll at least give you a better idea.
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.