Need replacements

A home owner from Los Angeles, CA says:
The plate is 3 3/8" x 4 1/2", wheel diameter is 1 1/2"
These are for two 100 year old heavy wood sliding garage doors and the plastic wheels are finally giving out and we would like to replace them. Thanks for any help you can give
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named garage door hardware 2.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm not sure if we can help with this. We don't usually carry replacement hardware for garage doors, and the age itself is an issue. I will try my best, though.

Before I recommend anything, can you tell me if the wheels are flat or concave? I can't tell from your photos. If they are concave, you may be able to use one of our sliding patio glass door wheels as a replacement. Our 81-236 is 1-1/2" in diameter, 5/16" thick, and has ball bearings. What do you think of this part?

They are concave. That might work, then to get them attached to a plate of some sort. Also, the doors are large and heavy. What weight are those sliding patio door wheels rated to support? Thank you.
Also of note is that the door hangs from an upper rail that the wheels sit on, the wheels are not rolling on the ground or a bottom rail but hanging and rolling along a top rail, might these rollers still work?

The door is solid wood probably 10' high x 10' wide the wood is probably 1-2" thick and it's OLD so more dense than modern wood. Current the door is supported by two plates with two rollers each - the rollers are Killian brand with metal bearings.

I think the plate would be somewhat easy to replace - we don't need an identical plate, just a similar one as it could be attached in a slightly different location on the upper edge of the door. I guess the other question is how would the bearings attach to the plate? It looks like you sell attachment hardware as well, am I correct about that?

Thanks for sharing insight, and your input.
One last question - I'd be inclined to replace them with the steel rather than nylon rollers, is there any reason not to do so? (I would think that they'd handle the weight better and last longer but I'm not an expert. Thanks.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hmmm... if it's a super heavy door, then the 81-236 may be insufficient. They are designed to hold the weight of heavy glass patio doors, but they're meant to hold the weight from below. They're not designed to have the weight hang from them. That might change things.

With that in mind, you may want to consider metal wheels. See our 81-272, which is a kit that comes with 1-1/2" diameter metal wheels and a variety of axles that you can use to attach them.

It seems that we've arrived at the same place - metal wheels. Thank you for your help.
How to Repair Sliding Glass Door Roller Wheels and Axles
How to Repair Sliding Glass Door Roller Wheels and Axles
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.