Need spiral balance and shoe replacements.

A handy person from Florida says:

Hello,

These windows are located in Fl, installed ~2004

Info as follows

• Tube length: 28 3/4 inches
  • Tube width: 7/16 inches
  • Tip: black
  • Window weight: 18.3 lbs
  • Locking shoe width: 3/8 inches

BTW, these are tilt windows. I also measured the width 10 times according to the pics with a tape measure, and came out 7/16s each time.

I want to be sure I order the correct items for 9 identical windows.

Thanks!

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200112_183919.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200112_183932.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200112_184013.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 15788731521862196446977379283068.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 15788731966342628858984705337420.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for contacting us! I'm confident that we can supply the right balance for you, but I'm afraid that your measurements don't add up. I trust that you measure your balance properly, but the issue is that no company ever made a 7/16" diameter balance. It simply doesn't exist. So there must be something going on that's giving you an inaccurate measurement.

I know that some balances have a removable nylon cover over the balance for aesthetics' sake. Could this be the case with your balance? Is there perhaps a solid metal tube under the nylon tube? Or is that nylon tube completely connected to the balance and not separable? 

Considering your shoe is 3/8", I think it's pretty safe to assume your balance is also the 3/8" variety. 

Speaking of the shoe, you have an older style that's no longer made. That said, we've had luck using our 15-212 as a substitute. This is 3/8" thick and 15/16" wide. It should also be fully compatible with your old pivot bar. To add to my earlier theory, both the 15-212 and your original discontinued shoe were specifically designed to work with the 3/8" diameter Series 900.

One last note before I conclude. I don't think the color tip is black, either. Only 5/8" balances were ever made with a black tip, and a 29" long balance in that diameter with a black tip carries 31 through 40 pounds. That is way, way too heavy for a sash that's only 18.3 pounds. Assuming you have an S900-29 like I think, you'd want the Red Tip color option instead.

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.