Need two different kinds of kerf strips for my window

A quick learner from Roswell GA says:

There are two different kerf strips in ea double hung assembly. One is foam filled for the lower sash where it meets the sill. The other appears (in 2 places) on top of the top rail where it meets the head jamb and secondly on the bottom rail of the upper sash where it meets the meeting rail of the lower sash. Those two are hollow bubbles.

by the way... I have no idea who made the window. i have to believe they used to have a manufacturing facility here Georgia. i believe the recession killed them. The house was built in 1998.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200106_093050.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200106_092920.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200106_093239.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200106_092739.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200106_092532.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out to us. I'm very confident we can help replace the weatherstripping on your window.

Now, in a lot of windows, the weatherstripping that goes on the bottom is going to be a little different than the weatherstripping that goes on the sides. However, you also have windows where the weatherstripping is the same all the way around. 

I'm not sure what your situation is, but since one seal is hollow bubble and the other is foam-filled, I'm wondering if maybe someone replaced one or the other with a new type. Sort of a mix-and-match kind of deal.

I suppose in the end it doesn't really matter as long as both types have been working equally well all this time. Out of everything in our inventory, I think our 58-053 looks closest to the foam-filled seal and our 58-055 looks closest to the hollow bubble. Those are my recommendations based solely on your photos. You might want to go over our dimensions just to be sure.

You'll note that our 58-053 is also hollow bubble, but that doesn't really matter too much. Foam and bubble both do their job equally well.

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Y'know what, I've been thinking about this since I responded a few minutes ago. I think our 58-170B might be a good option for the foam-filled seal, as well. The shape is a little closer, after all, though my only concern is that our 58-170B might be a little too big. You should review our dimensions for this one, as well.

Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.