New Double Sliding Glass Door

A distributor from Eatonton, GA says:

I am building a sliding glass door out of steel in a metal shop. I am looking for a lock mechanism and lock trim in flat black that I can use to hold the doors closed with a keyed lock also. I am familiar with Pella, Andersen style patio doors. Having said that, I can build the door to receive any mechanism and trim that fits the look that I am going for. My plan is to use back to back pulls from Emtek for the handles. Please advise.

Thanks,

Lowell

Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

It's tough to recommend hardware for custom doors manufactured from scratch. In some cases, companies who specialize in patio doors can't seem to get it right. With that being said, Andersen and Pella use a mortise type lock in their patio doors. This would be a little tricky installing in a door without the correct templates and jigs. 

We do carry a mortise type, the 82-033 handle, 82-310 key lock, mortise latch 82-227 and 89-017 and 89-021 keepers. However it might be easier to install a surface mounted type handle set like the 82-033 along with exterior key handle 82-310 and just forget about using a mortise lock altogether. Take a look at both type sets along with the related information to see what would be best.

Reversing the thumb lock on the Swisco 82-005 Sliding Door Handle
Reversing the thumb lock on the Swisco 82-005 Sliding Door Handle
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Surface Mount Handle Assembly
How to Replace a Surface Mount Handle Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the Swisco 82-033 Handle Set
How to install the Swisco 82-033 Handle Set
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to install a key lock in the 82-306 Keyed Exterior Sliding Door Pull
How to install a key lock in the 82-306 Keyed Exterior Sliding Door Pull
GUIDE
READ >
Legacy Patio Door Handles, Locks & Spindles
Legacy Patio Door Handles, Locks & Spindles
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.